Lot's of Shoveling To Do #2

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Apr 11, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

This is a continuation of a thread where I miss spelled the title. Here is the original post:

Over the weekend the top soil/peat moss mix for our raised beds was delivered. We are filling 2 4’x100’ raised beds. I had a 15 yard truck load delivered. Boy what a bunch of shoveling. We have a small 4 wheel wagon I pull behind the golf cart, and it is taking about 100 shovels full to fill it. Then I shovel it into the beds. I can do 1 cart load before I have to come in and rest. But for someone with a back as bad as mine that’s not bad. If I can do 2 this morning, and DS and I can do 2 after he gets out of school, we should have it all done by the end of the week. If the weather cooperates. I will keep everyone updated as a way to motivate myself. Getting the garden up and running is my #1 goal this summer.

Duke

I was sitting here figuring that to move 15 yards of dirt it should take about 22 loads in my 18 cubic foot cart. I have already moved 3 loads, so that only leaves 19 more to do. Oh my poor back.

The thing is I had two young men from the local Christen College come in here yesterday wanting to find yard work to do. So I told them to take a look at the pile of dirt and tell me how much to put it in the raised beds. Now my old crippled self has moved 2 load this morning, and it took me about 40 minutes each. So, on the conservative, side those two healthy young men should have been able to move 3 loads an hour (really 4 but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt). So that would take 7 hours for the two of them to do the job, 14 hours total labor. They wanted $175. That’s $12.50 an hour to shovel dirt. And they wanted to use my tools. I don’t think so. And they are probably wondering why I didn’t give them the job.

Duke

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Dont you have a nieghbor with a tractor and a loader? Bet he'd do it for little or nothing.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

couldnt you have the truck back up to the raised beds and dump on top of them then just rake and sgocel to make level

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

sry thats supposed to say shovel

5. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

The farmer around me is of little help. He's still mad I am taking back my acre for my garden (he farms 5000+ and is mad about my acre), and getting the truck up to the beds really wasn't practical. As to the farmer, we had a deal in place where he farmed the acre and then he would cut my front field when he came by to cut the ditches. He ended up cutting my front field once or twice a year. It needed done a minimum of 4 times (we're talking 1/4 acre). I complained every year :grump: , he blow me off. So when I got my JD garden tractor i kicked him out of the back acre. I wanted a garden to enjoy anyway :cool: . And besides, doing a little hard manuel labor will be good for DS and myself :yeeha: .

Duke

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Geez, I rented a 4WD John Deere mini-tractor for an entire day for only $150 from the local rental center. It had a 1/4-yard bucket and a roto-tiller. I never got so much work done in a 24-hour period!

[​IMG]