LOTS OF QUESTIONS....lambing time related? and bred ewe maitanence.

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

WORMING:
    I have a question, I need all of your advice and experiences. I thought I heard from someone that bred ewes should be wormed around lambing but we have never done this before hand as we were afraid as to what wormers are safe or not.

Does anyone worm bred ewes? when do you do so? and with what?

The wormers we have on hand are safeguard crumbles, and Ivomec Drench.

Some ewes are bred to lamb at the end of February and the most in March.

Vaccinating:
    We will vaccinate the ewes with tasvac 8 before lambing, but since some of our ewes are due to February and Most are due in February.

When does vaccinating help the lambs and when is the shot for no good? If given to soon how many weeks before lambing is too soon?

Melissa

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've wormed pregnant ewes with both Ivomec and Safeguard at various times and no problems. I think valbazen has a restriction on pregnant ewes? You want a minimum of 2 weeks before lambing to vacinate but any prelambing vacination is going to help somewhat!

3. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Thank you Ross, that is exactly what I was looking for, so do you think with this mild weather it would be worth while to bring everyone in and worm them?

Vaccinating is good as well I will mark a time on my calendar to make sure I get them done on a weekend in the next month or few weeks.

Melissa

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though my ewes are vaccinated and up on thier vaccinations at all times, I head off any problems by innoculating all lambs with tetanus antitoxin prior to docking tails and tattooing ears. Its a safety procedure that is too cheap to pass by in my estimation. Tetanus antitxin to shoot 2 lambs costs me $2.35 at trator supply. Add another quarter for needles and a syringe and its really cheap insurance.

To quote my vet - "Its easier to prevent than to cure". Not bad words to live by.

Of course the bottle of 50 injections of FootVac to vaccinate against Foot Rot will cost me $103.00. THats only $2.00 per injection and each sheep gets 2 the first year and 1 yearly after (I think). Sure wish I could get rattlesnake vaccine for my dogs at anything resembleing that price. My vet wants $30.00 per - whew!!!

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter