Lots of goat questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Mar 30, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, I have lots of questions.
    This past Saturday we picked up a 5 year old registered Nubian and her 12 week old buck. To me, she looks a little thinner than she should. What I *think* happened is that these people started out with the best of intentions but fell on hard times and could no longer care for their stock properly. I think they got overwhelmed plus two of them in the family had surgery within a month of each other. Anyyyyhoooow, here's my situation:
    I have a 5 year old Nubian that kidded 12 weeks ago. She is behind on her shots, her hooves need trimmed and she really is having a hard time producing milk. She was rarely milked so milking has been so wonderful <not>. I'm so sore! I've been keeping her seperate so that I can ensure that she gets alfalfa and enough hay, since my other goats are not milking.
    Last night we seperated the buck from her. He had a tetnus when they dehorned him a few weeks ago and she said he was wormed a few weeks back too. We are giving him hay and alfalfa and a bit of grain (BOS, Cracked corn and Sweet Mix).
    Help me. I cannot break it down. What do I need to do first? I'm so overwhelmed and tired that I'm afraid I'm going to miss something important!!
    I have CDT here and Vit B, anything else??

Thanks!

Lori

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Fecals first.
    Keep her fed, but I would hold off on the corn. It will put the wrong kind of weight on her. Buck probably doesn't need grain unless your hay is inadequate. Grain for the doe is ok esp if she's in milk.
    Get them both the CD/T shots and get them on the same schedule -- much easier ;-)
    Get at those feet too, a little at a time. Their legs will thank you for it :)
    Good luck!

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I'd also give some probios to make sure that she has good rumen activity. Whatever you do, don't try to go too fast. Nice and slow and keep and eye on her poop to be sure it all looks normal as you increase her feed and change her diet form what the original people had it at...

Definitely trim the hooves - I have to do mine one hoof a day sometimes. After milking a particularly obnoxious doe of mine my hands are too sore to cut through more than one hoof wall!

I think you'll do fine. CDT, vitamin B, possibly Bo-Se if you're in a low area, and do the fecals to see if they need to be de-wormed again (might not be the problem, but only one way to find out for sure).

Good luck!

Oh - and that buck of hers is about to become sexually active, too...if you plan on using him for breeding you might consider putting a panel between them to prevent him from getting his Mom!! :rolleyes:

Sarah

4. BlessedMom

Well I know that they did not worm her before or after kidding. What kind of wormer can I get for her?
    My hay is a bit stemy. I've not been happy with it. I wasn't sure what to feed a 12 week old baby goat. And I have a question about giving a shot to the baby. Any easy way besides putting him on the ground and tackling him?

Thanks!
    Lori

5. BlessedMom

I have probios here. Her poops have finallly gone into the little pellets that I am used to. At first it was awful, smelly and it looked soft like dog poop, it was awful. Anyhow, she's great now with that.
    I am going to trim hoofs this afternoon, if they can come up with where my hoof trimmers are. I had them in the barn and now I cannot find them. I'm not happy as I think that they have been misplaced. I have a Snubian that gives me a run for my money when we trim. I do the front one day and the back the next. Then I usually need a hot shower and some tiger balm.
    We are selium low in our area. I heard I could only get Bo-Se from my vet? Is there something else I could use like a good loose mineral?

Thank you all for all your help!

Lori

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

if her kid is intact and not a wether then you had better separate them by something more than a panel as he can breed her through that.
    If you are keeping him as a pet or to eat later them wether him.
    Nubians are thinner than other breeds of goats so make sure she is really too thin before you try to fatten her up and be sure you introduce her to new grain gradually. If she does need to put weight on then add black oil sunflower seeds(BOSS) to her grain also gradually till she is getting a cup a day. That will help give her a glossy coat too.

7. BlessedMom

I seperated them right away. Actually, I brought them home and the next afternoon I seperated them. I don't think they can hear each other. One is on the back of the property and the buck is up front.
    We hope he will be our herd buck (except for the momma).

Lori