Homesteading Forum banner

Lots of blackberries

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Mike in Ohio 
#1 ·
This is my first season at this place and boy do I have a lot of blackberries. So would all care to share what you'd do with a bumper berry crop? Maybe you'll give me some new ideas.

Thanks,
PQ

G
#3 ·
What do you already know to do with your berries? I freeze some for cobblers and pies, make jam and jelly, I've juiced them out and made blackberry cordial and made blackberry bars. There are all kinds of ways you can use blackberries. You can sweeten them and serve them over shortcakes, sweeten with with sugar add cream and eat as a dessert. Put them in homemade ice cream, make blackberry syrup. You just name it and it can be done!

#4 ·
Freezing them is a good idea. I froze some raspberries and what I did was placed them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and out in the freezer. Once frozen I placed them in a high-quality freezer bag. This keeps them from smashing and sticking together, so when needed you can just take out of the bag by the handful and thaw.

My wife has a good recipe for Mennonite Platz with is like a coffee cake. It would be great with blackberries. PM if you want the recipe, since I'm not at home right now.

#5 ·
Cobblers are heaven on earth! :) The ones with thick biscuit crusts on top to soak up all the fruit juice are the best, IMO.

Long ago, I had raspberries growing in the yard (not here, but elsewhere). I made tons of raspberry jam --- don't remember how but do remember it was very, very easy and very yummy. :)

Definitely fix some good old fashioned cobbler this very minute (to help you get the strength to deal with the rest of the berries :D ) -- and enjoy! Then, if I were you, I'd make lots of jam, then freeze a bunch washed but unsweetened, put some up for cobblers and toppings (sweetened) ... then make another cobbler to help you recoup from all your hard work!

Don't forget the ice cream, either. Or fresh cream and berries, if you need a snack in between cobblers.

Yum! Lucky you. :)

#6 ·
After we get our "fill" of them, I freeze the rest and then when winter is here and it is cool, i make jam and fruit leathers. I like to freeze them now because i am so busy with all of the other garden stuff and canning... That way, i can have something to do in winter and have great gifts for the holidays.

Belinda

#8 ·
Our Blackberry and Dewberry season is several months in the past now, but boy I had more than I could physically pick each day! Baskets of them make wonderful gifts to people who don't have access to Blackberries. Another good way to eat them, if you are weight watching (we live an Atkins-like lifestyle, no sugar, white flour, etc) is by eating them chilled down in a bowl with whipped cream. They are wonderful.

G
#12 ·
Mickey said:
Unregistered, could you post your recipe for cordial? I don't have many blackberries, but I do have loads of elderberries, which are almost as good IMHO, and would love to make some cordial with some of them.
Mickey

I'll try to find my recipe tomorrow. I really can't remember which book I took the recipe from. It's been several years since I made it. i'll get back with you.

#14 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but if you're so inclined, blackberry wine is excellent. It been a while since I've made any, but I'm hoping to again this year. If I recall correctly, it's about 20-25 pounds of blackberries for a 5 gallon batch.

The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garry (sp?) is an excellent reference. You'll need a some equipment, but nothing too expensive. You can always start with 1 gallon batches, if you're not sure what you're getting into.

Kristi
(surrounded by blackberries in Western Washington)

#16 ·
Mickey said:
Thanks for that recipe Cabin Fever:) Do you mash the berries or leave them whole?
Mickey
I leave the berries whole....but I use wild blackberries which are relatively small and can fit down thru the bottleneck. Leaving the berries whole also allows makes it easier to pour straight elixer. If you mashed them, you'd have to pour thru a strainer.

Once the elixer is gone, the berries can be shook out of the bottle and used on ice cream!

G
#17 ·
Mickey,

Here is my recipe for blackberry cordial. I just now did a Google search on blackberry cordial and noticed that some recipes call for brandy, vodka, etc. but I don't use it in mine. It does seem as though once when I made it I added just a tad of cider vinegar, but not very much.

Wash, crush and simmer berries until soft. Strain through several layers of cheesecloth. Let the juice stand for 24 hours in the refrigerator, letting the sediment settle to the bottom will produce a clearer juice.

To two quarts berry juice add 3 cups sugar, and 1 T. each whole cloves, whole allspice, whole cinnamon and whole nutmeg tied in a bag. Simmer 30 minutes. Bring to boiling. Discard spice bag. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Adjust caps. Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in boiling water bath.

#19 ·
My daughter makes the worlds best pie from black raspberries, and it works fine with frozen berries. Eating it warm is like heaven. (Cold you notice more seeds)

Credit Joy of Cooking
Sour cream pie

Graham cracker crust
(Kelley likes a pretty lattice-topped traditional crust, which you need to put a little butter on half-way through (do not pre-cook crust). I like the crumb crust.)

oven temp 325 degrees

beat 3 eggs
add 3/4 c sugar
3/4 c sour cream
2 cups fresh or frozen berries
( little tapioca flour helps the frozen berries)

bake one hour or until custard is set

Eat hot or very cold

Enjoy!

debbie

#20 ·
Years ago when up to my armpits in blackberries, I tried this drink. It was quite good.

Raspberry/Blackberry Vinegar

1 qt cider vinegar
6 qts berries
sugar

Pour vinegar over 3 qts berries, let stand 24 hours, and strain. Pour liquor over 3 more qts berries, let stand 24 hours, and strain. Measure juice and for each pint add one pound sugar, boil 20 minutes, skim. Cool and bottle. (or can) To serve, allow 4 parts ice water to one part berry vinegar.

#21 ·
Thanks EVERYONE for all your great replies. Really got my brain back into gear. Making blackberry and apple jam tonight. Anyone know any way to soften up those seeds???

"In the wrong state" buy some plants or go on the barter board and ask for some. They grow fine everywhere in PA I've ever visited but maybe not wild. I never saw any in NJ either where I used to live. Don't live without the "the joy of blackberries".

Going out to pick more,

PQ

#22 ·
If you are thinking about buying blackberries I would recommend waiting till next year. There is a variety that is everbearing (both the primocanes and floracanes bear) and yields berries starting in June and continuing through the summer. According to a recent article in Farm and Dairy this variety was released to nurseries this year and the first plants should be available generally next year.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.