lost two litters in a row, why?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by oreokitten, Apr 21, 2005.

1. oreokitten

oreokitten Member

I got a new dutch doe a while back. She was pregnant at the time. She kindled, but not only were they born out of the nest box, all that was left was a few body parts.. I re-bred her, hoping for better results (this doe HAS raised a litter before, with her former owner). She kindled, in her nest this time, but both of the kits were dead (although unharmed). I suppose they may have been stillborn, or she didn't care for them after they were born. :confused:

I would REALLY like some kits out of this girl, so I'm going to re-breed her one more time. Is there anything I can do to make this go-around a little more succesful?

Valerie

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to sound negative, but ARE YOU SURE SHE'S KINDLED BEFORE? I would hate to think it, but unless you know for a fact, and not because they said so, they may have sold you a lemon, knowingly.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Did anything else have access to eating the rabbits? If not that means she ate them. as to having them on the wire if this was a second kindling for her she shouldnt have.

" She kindled, but not only were they born out of the nest box, all that was left was a few body parts.."

She only had two kits and this is her third time at least...........?
    thats a cull rabbit even if she had kept them alive, and i wouldnt want the genetics of this rabbit passed on.
    "I re-bred her, hoping for better results (this doe HAS raised a litter before, with her former owner). She kindled, in her nest this time, but both of the kits were dead (although unharmed)."

If they were indeed stillborn, or worse she didnt tend them she is a good stew canidate.

" I suppose they may have been stillborn, or she didn't care for them after they were born."

I dont intend to sound harsh, but You would be money ahead to buy a good breeder, and just get rid of her............ First and foremost, two bad breedings in a row..........with less then 6 kits she is not going to produce, now or ever....... second Bad genetics shouldnt be allowed to continue......if it is something genetic in her that is causing the poor breeding it can and possibly would be passed down to any kits she does have. Thirdly, Rabbits are not monstrously expensive........ for the cost of feeding her another month or more, and the time it takes the stress you will go through and the possible frustration of her kits doing the same thing, another good breeder is much cheaper......

If not for humane reasons, the stress on the rabbit from losing her babies, then for economical reasons and better breeding stock just get rid of her......

"I would REALLY like some kits out of this girl, so I'm going to re-breed her one more time. Is there anything I can do to make this go-around a little more succesful?"

_Neal

4. oreokitten

oreokitten Member

Thanks for the fast replies.

No, I do not know for a fact that she kindled before, I didn't see the litter. But I do trust the lady who told me so..

No, nothing else could have eaten them. I was really dissapointed about that.

I figured she might have had them on the wire the first time because she was pregnant when I bought her, not used to living here, etc.

As to the litter size, she is a pet rabbit (dutch, not bred for eating really), so that doesn't too much concern me. Although of course I'd be happy if I got a larger litter.

However I definitely understand what you're saying. If this is something genetic causing her to have so many problems, there is no way I'd want any kits to be like that. I just assumed it was something outside of that (stress with the first litter, I have no idea on the second..).

But anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I'll have to think it over, but I think you're right. I'd most likely be better off finding her a new home and getting a new doe.

Valerie

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Try a second buck with this doe see if her production is better. Sometimes it isn't just the doe's fault the buck who is good with some does might not work with this one. I personally have had this happen and that is why I keep 2 or more bucks so I can positively rule the doe as bad.

JR05