Lost my mother yesterday

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ohiosteve, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning my mother passed on after a short bout with cancer/stroke. She was 78.
    I was to take her to the Dr. and found her laying on her couch. I am not writing this seeking condolence but to share with you what the homesteading spirit can accomplish. I feel very lucky to have grown up as her son and learn
    the many things she had to share. I could write for hours the examples of her resourcefulness but I will give only a few examples.
    She was a child of the great depression and had to do without for virtually all of her childhood. She, like many of that generation carried that with her all through her life.
    She sewed,gardened, cooked,baked, and every other aspect of the homesteading lifestyle to the greatest degree possible.
    I don't think I ever wore a store bought shirt until I was about 15 or so.
    I remember my brothers and I would get on the school bus every morning
    and all three of us would be wearing identical shirts hot off of the Singer.
    She cut many many many cords of wood using nothing more that a pruning
    saw.
    She raised pigs and would wince when my dad would bring home a sack of
    "store bought" feed. She preferred instead to feed them out of her huge garden.
    She would cook potatoes and pumpkin in a metal bucket in the fireplace of our
    ancient brick farmhouse and the pigs loved it.
    Her gardening skills were legendary. Some of her gardens were close to two acres- really! She raised so many tomatoes and peppers that my dad would
    take several bushels to work with him and sell them from the tail gate of his
    Jeep. There were times that he remarked that he made half as much selling tomatoes in 10 minutes than he did working all day.
    And then there were the cows. She loved to raise beef cattle. I lost track of the many orphaned calves she raised. The fence she built/fixed.
    In her late sixties she even re roofed two farm buildings!
    The good news is that my wife two little kids and I plan to move into the 1842
    homestead and carry on. I am grateful that I was exposed to this lifestyle and feel very lucky to have had such a good teacher.

2. What wonderful memories ... I'm sure your mother would be proud to know that you appreciate her and plan to continue on her traditions ...

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Sorry about your mom. There is just nothing like a mother, they are always special. Sounds like she was good mom and a unique person too. One I could of asked a few questions! That's great that you are getting to move into the old homestead.

4. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

parents are blessings, and it sounds like you returned that to her.
    my condolences on your loss.

5. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

OhioSteve my thoughts are with you and your family at this time. You are such a lucky man to have such good memories of your mother. Continuing the same traditions on your family farm will be a great tribute to your mom.

Karen in NE Indiana

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When I go, I hope to be as well-regarded by my loved oned, and leave this world as peacefully.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................There are some things in this world that just can't be replaced . Your wife and kids will fill that big empty spot that she left . She lived a full and totally fulfilled life while she was here , it doesn't get any better than that .......fordy.... :eek: :)

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

You, Your mom and Your family have indeed been blessed! I know her knowledge and love will be missed but her lessons and memories will live on in grateful kin like you. God bless you all!

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That is a beautiful eulogy you gave to your mother. I know she will be deeply missed. She sounds like a wonderful mother. Blessings, Kim

10. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

What a testimony to a mother, and for her, that you have learned so much of what she taught you. I'm sure she would be proud knowing it.

11. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a great mom, and the knowledge and love she passed on to her kids will be forever remembered. I know you didn't want condolences, but I lost my dad when I was 16, and I think everyone deserves a hug when they lose one of their parents. Here is a hug for you (((()))))

Deb

12. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

For a mother the project of raising a boy is the most fulfilling project she can hope for. She can watch him, as a child, play the games she was not allowed to play; she can invest in him her ideas, aspirations, ambitions, and values—or whatever she has left of them; she can watch her son, who came from her flesh and whose life was sustained by her work and devotion, embody her in the world. So while the project of raising a boy is fraught with ambivalence and leads inevitably to bitterness, it is the only project that allows a woman to be—to be through her son, to live through her son.
    Andrea Dworkin

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Steve -- I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Losing my mom was one of the worst times of my life -- but I, too, was lucky to have one of those moms who knew how to make do, and taught me what she knew.

Hang in there, keep remembering the good stuff she passed on to you, and hold dear the family home. Those things matter.

(((HUGS)))

Tracy

14. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

what a beautiful way to honor the memory of your mother....that she died so peacefully is a blessing too....thank you for sharing...we will be remembering you all.

15. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

When I lost my paternal Grandmother I felt the way you do now.

It's difficullt to come to grips knowing you lost so much a part of your life that was always there for the wisdom and day to day learning and all the love that a Mother or Grandmother can give. :waa:

We had homemade just about everything. There was an apple tree, strawberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, and homegrown chickens and eggs, sauerkraut, lots of beans and Granny bought lard in orange metal buckets with a bail. We used the lard buckets for carrying the wild berries we picked.

My best memories in my life are of my Granny and the love she gave to us grandchildren. I remember the cool games she played... Hide The Button and one of my all time favorites was count the red cars that pass on the road while we were eating her delicious wilted lettuce as we sat on the front porch pigging out, keeping an eye out for the red cars. Both were so exciting!

I know it's difficult, but try to remember the good times and smile when you think of your Mother and how she would have told you the way thing should be done. :)

This is the poem I wrote for my Grandmother (in your case, replace with Mother) when she passed, I hope it will help you.

We feel bad for the sad

but Grandma not for you.

We're still here suffeing

as you start your life anew.

16. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

What a wonderful woman Steve. I know she will live on in you.
    My thoughts are with you.

17. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Not much else I can add, Steve, except that you are lucky to have had such a wonderful mother, and she to have a son who honors her as you do. Keep her memory alive in your hearts, and talk about her often, so your children will also learn the lessons she taught you. God Bless, Jan in Co

18. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry for your loss.

19. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

What a wonderful testament to a homesteading mother!
    I"m sorry for your loss. I'm glad you will have such wonderful memories and a wonderful place to call home. I think it's great when family property is passed on like that too. :)

20. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

You were very lucky to have had such a wonderful mother and she was very lucky to have been blessed with a son who appreciated it. Its great that you are able to bring up your children in the same happy place. What stories and wisdom you will be able to share with them.