Lost my GP do today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gean, May 13, 2005.

1. gean

gean Member

I lost my beloved GP dog today.When I went to milk she didn't show up.I called for her and when she didn't come to me I began to worry.I checked the pastures and found where she had been trying to dig out. DH came home and found her,she had been hit by a car.She was a very good dog but had a bad habit of running cars as they drove by our pasture.
    I have a gp pup, how do I train him not to chase cars? And do the lgd work better with another dog?

2. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I'm very sorry about your loss. It's SO hard to lose a pet!

3. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

Fences, fences, fences.

4. gnatgnome

gnatgnome Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I still mourn the loss of my beloved Bear. He has been gone over 7 years but is still missed. Nothing like a gp, such personalities.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss gean. I hate to hear of a dog being hit by a car. Did she have animals to protect? By the way,welcome!

6. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I agree with the fences idea if there is any way you can manage it. Our Pyr is in a fence that surrounds my poultry barn and pens. There are times though where it keeps the dog from protecting what you need protected. If the pup shows any inclination to chase, nip it in the bud ASAP. Enlist friends and relatives. Get a super soaker and have them soak him good as soon as he comes at them. Go to pepper spray if water doesn't work. Just watch out for signs that he hates cars more rather than learns to stay away. Sorry for the loss! Those big bears have such a hold on our hearts!