lost most of my seed starts...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cindyc, May 8, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

This was my first year trying to start seeds indoors. It didn't go well. I am really discouraged. They all seemed so happy indoors. Outdoors, they didn't make it. The seed packets said they are ready to transplant when they have two sets of leaves. I did that. don't know what I did wrong. :Bawling:

What works for you? I want to try again next year. I am NOT giving up. I'm gonna get this gardening thing down if it KILLS me.!

Cindy c.

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I am glad to hear you aren't giving up and remember, lots of people grow great vegetables from bought starts.
    What did you plant? What were your daytime and nighttime temperatures when you planted them out? Soil temperature? How did they look when you realised they weren't making it?

3. peekin

peekin Well-Known Member

I harden seeds off before actually putting them into the ground. I keep them outside in flats in protected areas for a week or so before planting. I also transplant a lot of them before hardening off. That is, I thin them and move from the original flat into a new flat with new soil.

Even then, I still lose some and often don't know why. It looks like I may have lost some gourds, for example, because one of the dogs has been peeing on them. I didn't know what was going wrong, then caught him in the act!

You have to be patient and persistent.

4. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Feel your pain Cindy. This was my first year also for starting my seeds...how did I do.....BUST! Tomatoes and broccoli all died....peppers are in the ground now but not looking the best...am keeping my fingers crossed on them..hoping maybe half of those will make it. I don't know if I'm going to bother starting next year or just get starts at the greenhouse.

5. Mrs Katzenchix

Mrs Katzenchix Well-Known Member

This was our first year starting tomatoes and peppers from seed. For two weeks we've been setting flats outside in the bed of our pickup to get some sun and protect them from the birds. Naturally, I forgot they were there and twice took off with them still in the back. It was like they went through a hurricane. Almost every tomato was flattened except for the determinates. The peppers survived. SOOOO frustrating (and stupid) :Bawling:

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't wait till next year. Get some seeds and plant them directly in the garden in little "starter" rows. Tomatoes Cabbage, and peppers will come up in plenty of time for a crop this year. After they are about 5 or 6 inches tall, transplant them in the rows where yu want them to grow. They will be stronger and hardened off from day one. When you transplant them, dig a little hole about six inches deep and pour it full of water. The water will soak in and you can cover the plant roots with damp soil. Set tomatoes deeper than they were originaly, and they will grow roots all the way up the stem that's burried. Years ago most of the people we knew didn't start their plants indoors, but they raised oodles of garden stuff.

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I'm with Uncle Will. It's not too late to get the seeds going into the ground. Think about all those volunteer tomatoes that come up from last year's seed.

The only difference will probably be that you don't have the first tomato in the neighborhood. Not to worry. If you hurry up and get some peas in the ground this very minute, you may be able to have the first of those. Thomas Jefferson always tried to produce the first peas in the neighborhood, in his kitchen garden. :)

Pony!

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I never could start from seeds either until I discovered winter seed sowing. This method is so great because you don't have to baby anything, it's very forgiving. Also, the plants are automatically hardened off and are much healthier from other plants. They withstand a lot more damage that way.

I don't use this method for things that grow easily for me like zucchini, green beans and squash.

I like that you do it during the winter when you aren't busy in the garden. It frees your springs up to do other gardening chores. Plus it is done entirely outside--no more lights or messes in the house!!

I wrote about what I did in the Jan, Feb and Mar Tightwad tips threads.

Here is a link with information:
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

9. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy, did you harden off the plants before you transplant them? They should be hardened by taking them outside and putting them in the shade for a few hours until night and then bringing them in; the next day they stay outside all day; and the day after that they stay out all day and night. After that they are ready to be planted.

By the way, I just had to throw this in, but there's no such thing as a "short growing season"; that is a misnomer. A place can have a short FROST FREE season, but not everything is susceptible to frost damage.

10. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

Glad to know I'm not the only first time gardener who isn't sure if she's doing this right or not.

My garden is pretty sad looking - growing, but slowly. When I spoke to my Dad about it he said it's cuz I started too early "Most people around here wait till after labor day!"