lost lamb how to dry off

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Matt NY, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

We lost our first lamb, it could be a combination of things, but that is done. When I went out to the barn Sunday it was dead. My concern is now for the ewe. What course of action should I take as far as drying her off?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well that's frustrating, but you're right to focus on the ewe now. Restrict or eliminate grain from the ration, unless the hay is poor quality then limit the suppliment. Do not restrict water but remember if she is drinking a lot she is making milk you'll have to remove. I generally use LA Pen as a precaution but I have a lot of animals to deal with so I really can't afford too many problems. Milk out the milk but do not strip her completely out, do not just squirt the milk on the floor either as it can promote mastitis bacteria. Twice a day will do and so long as you try to leave a little behind and then a little more behind a week should have her pretty much dried up then just once a day so long as she is productive.

3. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. I was thinking along those lines, but didn't know the timetable or consider the water. I checked this morning and she drank quite a bit overnight. I'll keep an eye on this.