lost it all I think

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by muggin_girl, Apr 24, 2005.

1. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

:waa: I was just looking at my garden under 2 inches of snow!!!!!! I think I will have to start from scratch. I just hope the grass seed bounces back because that stuff is expensive. What a drag. :grump:

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

m_g Not so fast maybe not all is lost.Snow in a way can help,by insulating.Lot of your Root Crops should be ok,Lettuce,Spinach,should be too.Grass can handle most things.

Just have faith !

big rockpile

3. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

If you planted cold crops, spinach, lettuce, radishes, chard, onions, peas--they will be fine. I had 2 inches this morning as well, and what had already sprouted looks nice and perky and green amongst the snow. Such crops can take it. They produce natural anti-freeze. And if nothing's sprouted yet, they'll just wait for some warmth to germinate and should be fine. Be happy. If you live near to where I live, we needed the moisture. :)

4. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

Nax I am about 2 hours above you. And Rock thanks for the words. :)

5. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

all of mine were under snow this morning and looked fine this evening when the snow had melted.. had lettuce, onions, radishes and spinach... so far, so good

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

We had some snow here too....my cabbages look better now than they did before! They're much happier plants after the snow.....go figure :rolleyes:

7. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

my seedlings didn't seem the least bit hurt. the snow is now melted (we had 4-5 inches) and they are growing even faster now.... much needed moisture :D How did your garden fare?

Kaza

8. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Mine loved the two feet of snow they got a few weeks back.

Turnips did better than I thought they would.

9. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

My stuff keeps chugging along--although a little slower since we can't seem be get any sun or break 40 degrees. I can't believe how good my peas look though. I've never had them up this far so early before. I'll be putting in a second planting of everything this weekend if it doesn't get too wet.

10. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

had a similar thing happen years ago. My peas and lettuce were covered with nearly a foot of snow, everyone told me I was insane for planting so early.

The snow insulated the plants, the next 3 days it was below zero temps, on the 4th day it started warming up, 40 degrees that day, and up to 65 by the end of 4 days. The snow melted slowly and provided a nice gentle release of moisture on the plants. They were the sweetest, most tender veggies I've ever had.

11. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

so how are things looking now??

Christina
    athome in South Dakota