lost finger haven't been on in a while

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Txcopperhead, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

I read this forum almost everday untill about 2 weeks ago. I work in the tx oil field (because that is about all we have here and the money is good) and that is where I lost about half of my pinky. hurt like hell lol but i'm fine and it just made me want to stop working for the man and find and work on my own land and create a homestead for myself. I read countryside front to back ever time a new one comes out and have stored alot of infomation in my memory bank and one day God willing i will make my dream come true.

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Best to you & your finger. May your dream come true.

Lot's 'a ol' time cowboys have lost fingers from roping steers - you're in good company. :cowboy:

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I've known more than one man that lost fingers or parts of hands in the oilfields. Fella I graduated from high school with lost his life on a derrick. Glad you only gave up part of the pinky, could have been much worse.
    keep the faith and the dream.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................There is a big gas play here in parker and tarrant counties since the price per MCF is so high and now they are drilling horizontial wells that require 120 acre leases . I think they're paying around 20 per hour for roughnecks so these guys are making a good living but dangerous . Good luck on your new plans . fordy... :clap:

5. Jared

Jared Active Member

It's sad that someone working in the oil field makes 20/hour and I make almost 16 in a factory. The factory's been here for 25+ years, but no telling how long that'll last. It may end up in Indonesia before long. Still, men that work that hard should either be paid more or the price of goods should be lowered.
    Jared

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the finger. You gotta be more careful! I've almost lost a few myself over the years. I work in maintainence. Keep your dream alive & good luck!

7. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

I'm in palo pinto and it sounded like your close by?

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope you put away some of the good pay! Too bad about your pinky, but if you were meat packer it could have been your thumb.

9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

My son works in the oil field. They are in Lousiana right now drilling. He hates it in La but loves the work. He started working in the oil buisness when he was 18, he just turned 41 so looks like that will be his life work.

My aunt's husband was working in West Texas on a rig, when a 2" pipe fell 40 feet and hit him on the back of the neck. Broke his neck in 2 places, and believe it or not it didn't kill or paralize him. Talk about lucky!

10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I lost just the end of my index finger a couple years ago and it was the most miserable thing I have ever been through. Those fingers sure hurt when you cut them off!

Good luck!

Jena