Lost dog ... vent ...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

On Saturday night, my livestock guard, a wonderful six year old cattle dog/dobie cross got out -- a gate post sagged after a ton of rain over several weeks -- and never came home.

He would come home if he was able to, or if he heard me calling -- he's got the best recall of any dog I've ever owned, and the two times before when he's gotten out he's met me on the road somewhere because he knows what my car sounds like. (One time I looked in the rear view mirror and he was pelting after me and leaped into the back of the truck when I slowed, the other time he ran up to the car at a stop sign.)

So not a dog likely to run off chasing something and ignore me.

The options are two: someone's picked him up or someone's shot him. (He's microchipped so animal control will know he's mine if they get him and I've been in contact with them.)

The latter wouldn't surprise me as he likes to play chase games with livestock (complete with play bowing and tail wagging -- my goats chase HIM as much as he chases them) and someone may have shot him or he may have been kicked by a horse.

But ... on the chance someone picked him up and had him in their house, I've been putting fliers up.

Sunday, it seemed like some of the fliers I put up in the morning where gone that night -- I put up more and blanketed that particular street as someone who knows my dog said they saw him on that road and several people identified him from a photo.

This morning, I discovered EVERY SINGLE flier was gone on that street for about four miles, plus on the main paved road out to the highway, all but one were gone. Many of these fliers were sealed in plastic covers -- not cheap.

I'm so ****ed. I don't know if someone's stolen him and they're taking the fliers down, what, to hide the crime? Or just taking them down to be mean?

*sigh* I'm alternating between tears and fury on this ... I'm going to start knocking on doors on that road to see if anyone knows anything, starting at the point where the fliers disappeared. (If the dog's in someone's house, believe me, the moment I know, and he hears my voice, he's going to pitch a complete fit and I'll find him THAT way if someone's tearing the fliers down to hide the crime.)

*sighs* I'm just so ****ed -- he's wearing tags and microchipped so if someone has him, it's obvious he's not a stray ... if they shot him, I can't be TOO mad because I'm not fond of loose dogs either, but he'll come running up to someone if called, so it's not like that was their ony option.

Grrr! I want my dog back!

Leva

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a thought..can you let your mail carrier know, so he/she can keep an eye out? Also, let local kids know that there's $$ in it for them, if they tell you where he is.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I'm so sorry! We lost our 2 Great Pyrenees last January for 8 days. They swam the river and got lost in the National Forest. It snowed and I guess they lost the scent home. We offered a 200.00 reward and a trapper found them and walked them about 5 miles to the nearest phone. If someone did steal them, maybe a reward would be the incentive for him to return them. Infuriating, but maybe necessary.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My little buddy disappeared many years ago too. Still think about him. He was very friendly. Feel for you.

As to the fliers - depends where you are posting them. Nothing is supposed to be put on light poles, street signs, etc. We had a rash of 'work at home' signs put up a few years ago, even on stop signs for crying out loud! Got kinda fed up with all that, so most any sign is pretty quickly removed in these parts now, either by property owners along the way, or the county.

Just a thought.

--->Paul

5. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

The fliers were posted on telephone poles, which are generally covered in my area with lots of other signs. The other signs remained, just my fliers were gone. So obviously, they were removed deliberately, singling out those signs.

(There has been an absolute rash of disappearing dogs in our area. I'm inclined to blame a couple of "animal collectors" for the disappearances, particularly since some 'lost" dogs have been found at their properties with the general m.o. that the "animal collector" claims to have had the animal for years when you call the cops and they run a rescue blah blah blah ... mine's microchipped, wonder how that would work if I had to insist that the dog be scanned to prove it's mine? Would I have to get a lawyer or just fuss at the cops until they got animal control out with a scanner in hand? -- Hope it doesn't come to that, on the other hand, I'd rather find my dog in someone's yard than dead.)

Leva

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

My sympathies entirely. We had one disappear from our front yard and it was the kids' pet. Loved that mixed-breed Boston Terrier. He was the funniest dog I ever saw, funny looking too. Still miss him. We offered rewards, combed the neighborhood, ran ads, put up signs, asked the school bus driver to keep an eye out. Got any kids in the neighborhood, we asked them to ask around school. Like yours, he had tags and micro-chip. Never did hear what happened to him. He didn't roam, never did before anyway. And we saw him two hours before he disappeared for good. I think he was kidnapped, at least I hope he is having fun cause he loved to "laugh" and loved everybody. It's tough not knowing.