lost doe, others in mourning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MamaDee, Nov 30, 2006.

1. MamaDee

MamaDee Well-Known Member

I'm sure alot of you know this--I thought I did, too. But after today I appreciate it even more. Goats are amazing. I know they are considered livestock, but they are like no livestock I've ever dealt with. I always joked that they call the kids "kids" for good reason. They act just like human kids--whining, crying, playing, being naughty, missing you, etc.......and I have five kids (the human kind) so I've seen a bit of kid behavior.

Well last night one of my three does, Mary, died. (another couple of long posts....) I went to the barn this morning and found her. The other two does were obviously distressed. They were very wary of me. They were galloping circles around the pen. Very upset. We thought it best to get Mary away from them. I didn't want to take her outside where dogs or something worse could get to her. So...I gave the two does a bit of their pellets to distract them and pulled Mary out of the pen and put her behind the solid gate where the other two couldn't see her until DH got home.

Well, when DH went to get her he walked into the barn to see both does bleating piteously. They were both standing right in front of the gate that Mary was behind. They were just standing there, crying at her. And they couldn't even see her. They knew where she was. They didn't even move when DH got there. He had to give them their food so they wouldn't see him move Mary out. He said it was so sad to see.

The more I'm around them, they more their "emotions" amaze me. The two remaining goats truly are mourning their friend.

Dee

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

They are such beautiful animals. It always hurts to loose one. I have one old, old doe that limps along, and I worry about her, will find her gone one of these days. I just try to enjoy each day that I have her. I am sorry you lost one of your girls.

3. nursefarmer

nursefarmer nursefarmer

I am sorry to hear of your loss,that is so sad for you and your remaining girls.We lost a llama last year,my husband buried it in the field,away from the barn.Do you know the other llama and 2 goats that were with her at the time,slept on top of the dirt mound that was the top of her grave ? they hung out at that spot for about 2 weeks,before they started to heal from the loss.I am always amazed at the depth of emotion our "livestock" animals exhibit.Animals do have souls,I know this.

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Mary didn't make it. Your other two girls really need you now. Go sit with them a little and give them treats so they can move past the grief. When I went through my polio this spring I lost 2 adults and 1 kid, and saved 2, so I know what your girls will be going through. It took almost 3 weeks before mine settled down. Will keep you and yours in my prayers.

jr05

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

MamaDee I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your little goat. You done everything that you knew to do. Sometimes we just can't save them no matter how hard we try so remember this you done all you could and that was it. At least now your little goat in at the rainbow bridge playing with other goats. You will always be learning stuff about goats all the time. I have learned a lot since I started with them but I love the dearly. Some people thinks animals do not have feelings but they sure do they are like us people we have feelings and so do they. They know when something is wrong and all. I hope I get this done before we lose power again. We have winds here close to 70mph at times 85mph.

MamaDee I will be sending hugs and prayers to you and your goat family. Now I better get off before we lose power again

God Bless. :)

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your goat. I lost one in October and I know how you must be feeling.

There's no question in my mind that animals have emotions very much like ours. You can't spend time around them and not realize that.