Lost Calf Yesterday - Blackleg

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Very strongly suspect blackleg. OK on Tuesday. Notice it had that 'hang dog' look next day. Tried to check often enough to find it where it had just gone done - so I could call the vet for an emergency call. However, found it dead.

I vaccinated for BL a couple of months ago. However, I used last year's vaccine. Now suspect it had gone stale - or whatever. Thus, likely for not being willing to buy a fresh batch - lost a calf.

Usually BL takes the best ones; however, this was the poor doer of the lot.

If caught before the end, a single shot from the vet can usually bring it back. However, it is not one of the shots they can let you administer yourself since it can be extremely dangerous/deadly for humans.

Ken S. in WC TN

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

You'd better get some new vaccine and do the rest of your animals...fast!

Sorry to hear about it.

Jena

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Ken, Is BL retained in the soil or does it get spread to your herd some other way? Several years ago there a case of BL a few miles south of me. I was notified, and I thought they said it could be spread through a small stream that went through the affected farm. That's the only case of it I've heard about around here, and I've forgotten most of what was said about it back then.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be wrong, but I don't think blackleg shows symptoms, they usually drop dead close to the water tank.