Lost by boots, then my bibs, almost...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ok, the mud situation is getting really bad. Cows started calving. I usually feed the cows, then take the 4-wheeler out to look for new calves. It's never a pleasant ride as the paddock is quite rutted and muddy this time of year, but dang!

I was tooling along, bouncing around as usual when the front end dropped into a hole of muck. Stuck. I got off and immediately sank to my thigh. Good-bye boot #1. Now these are $80 boots and I fought for it, but there was no way I was going to get it up.

I looked at the mud more carefully. the cows always leave bumps...high spots, then low spots I guess from their feet always going in the low spots. I tried to locate a high spot...no luck. Next step...over the knee. Good-by boot #2.

I decided it might be a good idea to plan my escape a little better and decided to head for the fence. The fenceline usually stays a little firmer. The fence was maybe 10 feet away.

My carhartts are too long. They wrapped around the bottom of my foot with the next step. I figured that was good, kind of like a shoe to protect my bare feet. WRONG. I couldn't get my foot back up, pulled against those straps...couldn't do it. Dropped the bibs and kept on going.

I made it to the fence with my jeans still on, but I was definitely showing some crack. Mind you, this area is visible from the road and mostly I was praying no one was going to drive by. I was in mud up to my elbows from trying to pull my feet up. Mud in my hair from spinning the tires on the 4-wheeler, mud up to my crotch, crack hanging out...yeah, quite a sight.

Once at the fence, it was easy going across the horse pen and to my truck. I dropped my jeans before I got in and drove home with my coat in my lap...and I drove the speed limit:)

I knew the mud was bad, but I sure didn't realize it was THAT bad. I gotta move the cows somewhere else, which is a bummer because they will surely destroy the pasture wherever I put them. I suppose it can't be helped this year. Better than having calves disappear into that mess. I can also see scours in my future because that mud is at least udder deep and we all know it ain't plain mud!

I did get the 4-wheeler out with the tractor. Got one boot and the bibs. I think the other boot is going to have to stay for the future archeologists. There's not even a dimple on the surface to indicate exactly where it is. Anyone know where I can find a right LaCrosse mud (HA!) boot?

Jena

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

jena so your the lady that was stuck in the mud. up to her....(.) (.)... everyone was talking about at the sale barn in missouri...guess you will be on Larry King live next week...lol...lol sorry just kidding...lost boots before had to have my wife come out with trator to get me....i lost one of mine also do you wear a size 11 i got one have forgot what side it is now but i could send it to you if you want

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Jena, that's not mud, it's QUICKSAND!!!!! :eek:

I wonder if snowshoes might be any use out there?

Yikes!

Well, if it makes you feel better, I had an embarrassing happenstance of my own yesterday. Somehow, I managed to get just FILTHY while milking! Well, I did my own barn chores before I left for work, then had to feed a calf that kept crashing around and falling in the slop. :rolleyes:

By the time I finished up at work, my boss was gone ... I didn't bring clothes to change into, and didn't really want to get into my (new) car with manure-covered sweatpants on! So I said hey no problem ... I'll just strip down to my long underwear ... drive straight home and make a mad dash into the house!

No sooner did I pull into the drive, than a UPS truck pulled in right behind me ... and the driver got out and walked up to my car, wanting to know where I wanted some heavy boxes delivered.

:eek: :no: :haha:

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

to the both of you ya have to say all nall thets pretty funny :haha:

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

gee i guess ill quit complainin about mud up to my knees. i gave up on carharts cause i cant wash them every day, i was getting muddy just putting them on. Did get boot stuck and fell sideways, but boot stayed on foot. i just got muddy on one side :D

6. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

What's that saying? Life on the farm.....

Now I bet that was a sight to behold :haha: :haha:

I've fallen and floundered some myself over the years so yes I'm laughing with you not at you.

Jim in MO

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

That is hilarious. Sometimes you just wonder if you're really part of some comedy that no one told you about. Got that feeling the other day. Went out to feed and it had been misting all day but hey had to go out. No sooner than I got on the mower with my little hay wagon (that is my poor womans JD gator haha) and started to drive off to the cows it just poured. I mean cats and dogs cant see well poured. I just looked at the dog and thought now that was really dirty. Of course once I was done it went back to misting. So my dear I feel for you!

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Atleast know one was there to laugh :). But it seems mud 2 humans 0. Mud does suck, and it REALLY sucks in a field with a tractor. I almost got a tractor stuck about 2 weeks ago, and let me tell ya it would have sucked. I had to disconnect the manure spreader to get out. I locked pozzy (as I call it) in, slapped it in 6th and went for it. I got out on the second try. Im glad I was driving my 4440, as the 4230, forget about it. That doesn't have pozzy, and would have been stuck. Best of all? If I did get stuck, our other tractor is getting the engine rebuilt! So no one near by to pull me out, so atleast I got out, and dragged the manure spreader out.. Thats my mud story, not quite as bad, didn't loose my shirt, but hey atleast wheelers and boots are easier to get out!

Ya know, to bad the boot wasn't metal, a metal detector would be handy. Sounds like you need hip waders!

Jeff

9. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

That takes me back to ummmm...somewhere around 1988, it was between 3:00 and 3:30 am, I went out to bring the cows in for morning milking.

It was pitch black, my milking partner was in the barn getting milkers set up. I ended up in the "black hole of mud" :waa: stuck almost all the way to my waist. Yep,lost my boots..It was warm though, June of July..Stuck being the key word... my partner finally came looking for me when it was time to milk and the cows weren't in yet. :eek: He had to pull me out,mud in places,... well gives a whole new meaning to mud bath. Needless to say I didn't milk any cows that morning.

10. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

I love storys of everyday farm life that leaves you laughing. You've got grit and determination lady. And don't think that you weren't seen either! Everyone reading your post can see every sloshy step taken. Bet you were laughing too, when it was over. Thanks for sharing the adventure. It was better than reading a good book. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good laugh! Maybe there is more reasons for me to use the horses to round up the cows. I have often got the 4 wheeler stuck but never a horse. Just goes to show ya my horses are smarter than me.

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

there is mud shoes that allow people to walk on mud flats of the ocean when the tide is out. still for the cows health the mud is not good.ripped up fields are not fun nor are stuck tractors(4wheeler)buddy has a rock out crop he feeds on when its muddy, wish we were that lucky!still froze here but any day!keep checking that boot may float to the surface yet! quick mud and hidden springs are a real drag! when you get a 360 horse artik stuck you know its wet!!