Lost at Sea Survival Kit

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Odd question for a Shop Talk but I figure you'all would give better answers than GC.

Recent story about three Mexican fisherman in a 24' boat who became either disabled or lost while out shark fishing off Mexico. In nine-months they drifted about halfway to Australia.

Question: If a similar occupation (off-shore fishing) and you wanted to take with you a survival kit no larger than 8" x 8" x 18" (think tackle box), what would you put in it?

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

A turkey baster. Salt water will kill you if you drink it, but will hydrate you if you give yourself an enema with it.

It also works with salt/sugar water for a landlocked person with acute vomiting, who isn't able to keep liquids down.

3. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

They Had A Bible, Or At Least Part Of One.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The sharks were enough to keep me on land but thanks! Actually I'd heard that a long time ago (about treating vomiting cases) but had forgotten it. I honestly have no idea what would fit in such a small box maybe some sheet plastric to try and catch condensate? How about a distress signal transmitter?

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

There are manually powered reverse osmosis water filters available. They take some real muscle power to use, but can make fresh water from seawater. They're pricey, but I'd get one if I could.

.....Alan.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The US Navy has developed a osmosis type water purifying device about the size of a standard grease gun, it uses its own flow to power assist the purification of more water, it would be a necessity. A signal mirror, and an electronic distress device would also be of great assistance.

7. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

A small tarp to shield you from the sun and catch rain water. Include a hank or two of braided 1/8" nylon cord to tie it up with. Have enough cord to rig a sail out of your tarp. Buy a tarp color that would stand out on the ocean.

At least one large collapsible container to save water in and at least one cup. www.Campmor.com sells several water bags. The one I have holds two and a half gallons of water (spill proof)and has a spout on it to fill your cup. It isn't shown in their latest catalog but maybe found "on-line". It was cost than fifteen dollars and weighed about 4 ounces.

An assortment of fish hooks and several types of fishing lines wrapped on a sticks for handline fishing. Remember: small hooks can catch big fish but big hooks don't catch small fish.

Plastic lures and some prepared baits such as salmon eggs or pork rind.

A Leatherman MulitTool put a lanyard on it so you don't drop it in the drink.

Some signaling flares and smoke flares (orange stands out well)

Chap stick

A hat

A compass. If you know where you left from and where you are going too you may have an idea which way your headed. It may be towards land or away, but at least you would have some idea.

Packed right you should still have room for more gear. :shrug:

8. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Not sure how deep it was where they broke down but if they had enough anchor line they would not have drifted out to sea. An emergency position indication beacon is standard safety equiptment on boats going out in the ocean. Wonder if they had one.

9. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

A parafoil Kite
    Makes a good sail , can also be used for shade or to catch rainwater .
    a compass. A large sheet of clear plastic . string , fish hooks razorblades.
    GPS beakon Mylar blankets.

10. Ken Scharabok

If you are interested in lost at sea survival stories:

Staying Alive: The Amazing True Story of a Courageous Couple Who Outwitted Death at Sea for 117 Days by Maurice and Maralyn Bailer.

Adrift: Seventy-six days lost at sea by Steven Callahan

Lost! by Thomas Thompson

Survive the Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson (this was made into a TV movie remotely resembling the book)

In three out of four rescue came via fishing boat. None reported trying to use a signal mirror on passing commercial shipping.

I would also recommend:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whalship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick

Men Against the Sea. Story of how Capt. Bligh managed to get almost all of the men in the longboat to safety. Really part of a trilogy. Mutany on the Bounty, Men Against the Sea and Pitcairn's Island. Last one is rather interesting as well.

The Raft by Robert Trum Bull. WW-II story.

Man on a Raft by Kenneth Cooke. WW-II story.

Deep Blue by Joel Lieber. Fiction. Alfred Hitchcock made this one into a movie but I don't remember name.

11. PyroDon

Sorry Im having a brain fart on the name
    There is also a story of a failed anartic expedition , a true story of survial.

As a Kid I read the story Dawn about a round the world sailing trip

12. Ken Scharabok

13. PyroDon

Thank you I believe that is correct .

14. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

There were also some whalers from Nantucket that were adrift for an awful long time, their ship was rammed by a whale. It's the story that inspired Moby Dick. The whalers resorted to cannibalism. This may be the story mentioned above. "In the land of the white death" is a pretty good arctic survival story as well. There is also a survival story written about the men who were in charge of setting supply caches for the Shackelton expedition that never happened.

A bottle of multi-vitamins and the biggest jar of peanut butter I could find are two things I would add to the list of survival items.

15. PyroDon

canablism wasnt talked about much but was always a possiblity in the old sailing days . you didnt want to be the lowest man on the totum pole

16. Ken Scharabok

That is one aspect being looked at the Mexican fishermen story. They started with five men. The boat owner, an employee of his and these three local pick ups. After nine months only the last three were left. Their story is the other two refused to eat raw fish or bird and starved to death. After a couple of days they dumped them overboard.

Outside of political causes, I can't seem someone refusing raw fish or bird.

Another aspect being looked at is if they really weren't out fishing, but rather to meet a mother boat with drugs/weed. One report to somewhat bring this to question said they had to make fishing tackle out of engine/motor parts. They didn't seem to expect to be out very long.

All reports I have seen say the three were in very good condition with just sun and saltwater exposure problems. Likely a large part of that was they apparently had enough fresh (rain) water to fully digest their almost all protein diet.

If there is a book made out of their story please bring it to my attention.