Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post about lost keys got me thinking about this issue.

Two recent 'finds' of mine were a lost weeding tool that I found when I cleaned out the compost bin and a knife that I kept on a shelf to cut hay bale string.
I had spent a fair bit of time looking for that weeder on and off for months. By the time I found it, the wood handle was mostly rotted off and the blade rusted out. The knife had been knocked onto the top of another piece of equipment take was rarely used so wasn't found for almost a year. I just made do as I knew it couldn't have gone far.

The knife- well that is pretty much a one time thing as I know where to look if it happens again. But going through the compost bin every time I misplace a tool is not going to happen. That is clearly just poor organization. I need to stop setting tools on the edge of the garden cart as a covenience when I'm working.

Yep- that is what I need to do. Now I wonder where those ratcheting clippers got to........

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
I would think about putting a length of orange bale twine anywhere I liked to misplace things like you are saying, and at least make an attempt to tie things up.

We have a plastic ice cream bucket tied to the gate of the hay storage/lambing jug area of the open-fronted machine shed. The bucket is used mainly for gloves, tools, and orphan milk bottles so the LGD doesn't carry them off; Paul is always putting his work gloves down and losing them. He even briefly misplaced his glasses once, I would never be able to do that.

Our hay is stored in two different places and there is a knife on a shelf in both of them. We are both pretty careful at keeping the knives safe but have extras around just in case.

Peg

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I have gotten into the bad habit of carrying something with me as I walk around the house and then just setting it down somewhere. It's such a habit now that I don't remember doing it much less where I've laid things. Leads to endless frustration....so lots of lost and found going on here, but I never have found my favorite pair of reading glasses.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
No matter what you all have lost, it can't be worse than when my friend forgot he put his prosthetic leg in the fridge.
Was his last name Lamb? :facepalm:

Perhaps tying a length of day-glo orange or pink surveyor tape to the handle of yard tools would help find them. Manufacturers are so considerate when they paint or cover yard tools in green plastic so that you lose them and have to buy new.

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
I've got 7 or so hairbrushes just because I can never remember where I put them last. Oh yeah, they all have holes in the handle and a proper hook on the wall in the bathroom but they never seem to make it back there. And just this morning I couldn't find my pliers. I know there are several pliers in this house, but you can never find a pair when you need them. I did find my scissors and chestnut seeds so today I'm working on planting the seeds in pots. (providing I can find some potting soil, LOL)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Lost a bra one time...many months later, found it in my spare bedroom/craftroom hanging on the corner of a wire shelf under a grapevine wreath.

To this day, I have NO IDEA how it got there.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I love stories of losing things! I was the kid that walked into the kitchen with 3 or 4 things to do- dirty laundry in my arm, a dirty dish, food, trash, etc. Frequently my parents wondered why trash was in the fridge, dirty laundry in the trash, food not where it went either... lol.
For the hay knife problem- I always have a pocket knife in my pocket, so that prevents that worry. *But*, I also have some nails in the wall of the hay cover- a pair of scissors and a knife both hang there on hay strings. Along with extra hoof picks, done the same way. All are on long lengths of bright twine so they are easier to see.
I also put some big nails up high, so I could hang the hay forks from them to get them out of the way. :) All next the halters hanging on hooks. :)

For my small garden tools- my friend painted mine bight purple for me, so that helped a bit. But the small hand ones- I have an old mailbox in my garden area that I put my gloves and small tools into when I am done, so I don't lose them.
Mind you, I am one of those as well that puts *many* other things in places I forget because I swear the spot I put it in was the best place ever to remember in the future! :p

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
Mind you, I am one of those as well that puts *many* other things in places I forget because I swear the spot I put it in was the best place ever to remember in the future! :p
I lost a bottle of Tylenol that way! :facepalm:

My best lost item story involves the key to my van. Fortunately it was a former fleet vehicle and came with 4 keys but I still lost one. Looked high and low, no luck. Asked a neighbor, no luck. About 5 years later I was cleaning up some scrap for a trip to the scrap yard when I found it in a paper sack with aluminum scrap, inside an unused trash can. To this day I still wonder how it got there.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My best lost item story involves the key to my van. Fortunately it was a former fleet vehicle and came with 4 keys but I still lost one. Looked high and low, no luck. Asked a neighbor, no luck. About 5 years later I was cleaning up some scrap for a trip to the scrap yard when I found it in a paper sack with aluminum scrap, inside an unused trash can. To this day I still wonder how it got there.
When the locksmith asked me how many duplicates I needed, I said 2. He replied "Yep- one to use and one to lose." True true true.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Huh, yeah that is an odd one!
When I was a teenish-ager, we couldn't find the car keys anywhere... parents always put them in same spot, if I remember... but nope, nowhere to be had... Somehow after all the searching of the entire house, cars, clothing, etc, I got the idea that maybe the cats whom we had seen wrestling on the counter had possibly knocked them into the trashcan at the end of said counter... yup, they were in the trash, unfortunately the bag was already outside in the big nasty trashcan... yelch. You would think since I was the one with the good idea I would be exempt from digging in said trashcan... nope, I was elected to dig through it all and find the right bag and then dig through that... Double yelch! Dang cats!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I lose pens.

I can be sitting at a desk working away, and have a pen disappear. ???? Sometimes they show up later, sometimes not. Somewhere, there's a dimensional pocket that has thousands of my pens in it. I fail to understand how I can lose pens without getting up from the desk.

I can't keep track of combs to save my life, either.

And now that I've started needing a separate pair of driving glasses and (prescription) reading glasses, I'm always on the hunt for the "other" pair of glasses. I've never had a problem with losing glasses before, because I can't see beyond my nose without them. Now that I have TWO pair to keep track of let's just say I've been doing a lot of driving with the reading glasses or reading at arm's length.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Huh, yeah that is an odd one!
When I was a teenish-ager, we couldn't find the car keys anywhere... parents always put them in same spot, if I remember... but nope, nowhere to be had... Somehow after all the searching of the entire house, cars, clothing, etc, I got the idea that maybe the cats whom we had seen wrestling on the counter had possibly knocked them into the trashcan at the end of said counter... yup, they were in the trash, unfortunately the bag was already outside in the big nasty trashcan... yelch. You would think since I was the one with the good idea I would be exempt from digging in said trashcan... nope, I was elected to dig through it all and find the right bag and then dig through that... Double yelch! Dang cats!
Oggie will like this story, lol!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
We are still on the search for keys that I had.

Now, I will admit up front, I have ALWAYS had problems with keys. I have a habit of coming in to the house with stuff in my hands (car keys included) and it just seems to be the keys get put with whatever else I was carrying.

My wife realizing I was key challenged had bought me a bright blue lanyard which I kept my keys on - keys to get into work, keys to get into the house, etc.

That bright blue lanyard disappeared about 13 years ago - and we still haven't come across them. At the time of losing them, our son was 3 years old, so we have to think he did something with them, but we asked him repeatedly if he did anything with the keys and he said no. (If they got thrown in the trash, they would have been burned because at that we burned everything other than stuff that wouldn't burn.)

I still wonder if at some point when we remodel our house and are moving everything from one room to another, if we won't find them?

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
My key ring, with, my car keys, truck keys, house keys, garage keys,, barn keys, and the keys to a couple of lock-boxes I have, is Always in My right hand pants pocket. It's just a simple little key ring. I've never lost it because it always goes in that pocket.

In my left hand pants pocket is my pocket knife, my money clip and loose change.
When I change clothes, the contents of the pockets are changed, as they should be. It has been that way, since I grew up.

I use to carry my wallet in my left hip pocket. But, it got so my hip would not take the pressure, of sitting on my wallet very well.. So now, I carry it in my left hand shirt pocket.

I have never lost my keys, or anything else I carry in my pockets, because I always put things in my pockets. I never lay them down.....somewhere....
It's amazing, how that works for me.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts