lost all my tomato seedlings in the frost!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Apr 27, 2006.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

So I decided to risk putting my tomatoes out before May 1, because the weather had been so warm, and the forecast said there would be no freezing days between last weekend and May 1. Well, they were wrong. :grump: When the weather felt cold Tuesday night, I covered everything, but I guess the sheet I put over the tomatoes hung a little low, and got a little damp overnight, and in the morning the sheet was frozen crispy and stuck to some of the tomato seedlings. Now the seedlings look all grey and droopy and sad. :Bawling:

Is there any chance they'll revive? I assume there's not. I'm just going to plant a few seeds next to their little corpses, and I guess I'll just be getting tomatoes about a month later than I was expecting. :(

Live and learn, I guess....

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Next time that happens go out and water down the plants with the hose before the sun hits them. I've done that. Thawing out the plants before the sun hits them may slow down the damage the sun will do to them.
    5 gallon buckets may be better protection or large plastic potters with the sheet over that would be good too.

3. hisenthlay

Thanks, SquashNut. Never heard that one before--I'll try it next time.

Buckets would've been a good idea, too, and lord knows I have enough of those and the little plant pots laying around. Now why didn't I think of that? :shrug:

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Mine got wiped out too. I had them covered with a sheet of plastic, but they bit the dust anyway. Some of them have a lively-looking leaf sticking out of the ground, so I watered them and am hoping that some of them will grow back (not counting on it, though!). I started a bunch of new ones in little pots yesterday to replace them.

It's supposed to be really chilly here for at least the next two nights...GRRRRRRRRR!

5. hisenthlay

Very sorry to hear that, mammabooh. It was just too tempting to put them out with the weather so nice lately, wasn't it? But you know how misery loves company, so I guess I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one that got hit! :eek:

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hay,

I’ve had a freeze happen more then once. If the ground didn’t freeze you most likely are ok. The roots will come back and in time make up for what was lost.
    John#4

7. mammabooh

That's what I'm hoping! The stems do look like they are fine at soil level.

hisenthlay...yep, I ALMOST planted my corn and beans last week...glad I didn't now!

8. hisenthlay

Boy, I hope you're right, John! I like the sound of that! I'll keep taking care of them and see if anything good happens.

Yep, mammabooh, I was thinking about planting my peppers and eggplant last week too, but they still looked a little too small. Lucky for them! My other things that are out already did just fine--onions, lettuce, carrots, radishes, peas, turnips, celeriac, leeks, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. And the herbs look ok, too. But those poor little tomatoes....

9. Melissa

Melissa member

I am in SE Ohio and I have seen hard frosts as late as May 20th. I never set my tomato plants out before then. Tomatoes love hot weather, setting them out early never seems to work for me. Now I just wait and still have plenty of ripe tomatoes. If you have a greenhouse, or a very protected warm place, you can start them there and you might get some tomatoes a few weeks earlier than normal.

10. mammabooh

Good news...5 of my frosted plants are growing new leaves. HURRAH!!!!!!

11. hisenthlay

Yay!!! Glad to hear it! 4 of mine seem to have survived--they were the ones that looked the best right after the frost. But the others, well, I'm still holding out a little hope, but I'm not holding my breath....

Maybe next year I won't be so impatient! :nono: May 20 seems like a pretty safe date.