Lost a calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by kgchis, Sep 7, 2006.

1. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

Well over the past few weeks we have had 6 new babies, but one didn't make it.

The cow was raised on our place and is 10 years old. She always raises a good calf. Well this year her calf just didn't suck. I have no clue what happened. He wasn't clogged and was urinating fine.

Sunday I decided to try and start bottle feeding him. I could only get him to take a little at a time. After 4 feedings from Sunday evening to Monday mid-afternoon, he passed away. :Bawling:

I guess the vet was right when he said that is just nature's way of handling something that went wrong, but it still sucks :Bawling:

On the bright side, one of my other cows had a calf right after this one passed. The new calf is doing fine. :dance:

2. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

We just about lost one this week to. But we decided not to let it happen this time and went and purchased a stomach tube feeder from the vet and a bag of colostrum and some electrolyte. WE gave it the colostrom and 4 hours later the electrolyte. It didnt drink the next mornig so it got tube feed another electrolyte in the morning and milk repacer that nite. This morning it drank half a bottle and it drank almost a full bottle at noon. It takes some time but it should be worth it

3. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I lost a lamb the same way he was fine vigorous right after birth, acctually the strongest one, drank fine all that jazz, but when I went back to check on him in the morning he was weak, his umbilicus was thick swollen and purple (I think he had an abdominal hernia, or a weak wall and momma bit off some intestine when she was cleaning him), he was hypothermic and anemic despite being in a nice warm barn with a heat lamp. Brought him in did all I could and he still crashed. It's depressing when things are out of your hands and the only thing you can do is watch.

I would definatly recomend learning how to stomach tube, and always keep fresh colostrum, from any animal you can get it from. Sub Q fluids are also a good way to go too. Next time you have the vet out ask him/her to show you how do do them, they are invaluable tools for bringing little ones back from the brink.

(ah no now I'm sad again, loosing babies is terrible)