Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mama MacDonald
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the same bunny I pictured in the "white spots" thread I found dead on the ground today. It seems it found its way out of the box again. I really think the mom is moving it even though the books I have read said does don't move them. It's always been the same one out of the box. Well it must have crawled its way to the corner of the pen like last time and "something" pulled it through. It did not eat it though just chewed on it some. It had ants all over it. I think it had ants on it already since some ants did come into the pen and are eating the rabbits food (how do I prevent that?) and maybe our puppy pulled it out and tried to chew it but ants stung him so he quit. My guess anyway. So here is a three part question:

Can does move their young especially if she feels one if just "not right"?

How do I keep ants out of the pen? They are crawling on doe currently but so far none are in nest box

How do I keep something from pulling out babies once they leave the nest box. I have 1"X1/2" wire covered by chicken wire. The puppy or whatever it was pulled off chicken wire and just pulled baby through. How do I keep the same from happening from under the pen?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is your cage setup? How are the ants getting to the cage? Are there other animals in the area? Knowing the answers to these questions can help us point to some measures that you could take.

While babies are still small and their whole foot will fit through the wire, predatory animals such as dogs and cats can grab them and pull. They can also take off toes of the larger rabbits. Preventing access to the bottom of the cages, at least while unsupervised, is a good idea.

I don't know that I have seen evidence that a doe will push a kit out of the box, but they can drag them out still attached to a teat when she has gotten into the box to feed.

Russ
www.marchharesrabbitry.com

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
If theres Legs on the cages put A can of water down and the legs inside them. Add A bit of Diesel or Kerosene to the water. That will stop the Ants ,Or try A ring of grease around the cage .. Or sprinke Boric acid on the floor if thats where the ants are coming into the cages from. Be Aware that Boric acid can KILL the rabbits if they get into it!! Try grooming the Doe and get the ants off of her, That may be the reason the young one DIED!!! The Ants will Bite the rabbits!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Can does move their young especially if she feels one if just "not right"?
I'm not sure about the "not right" part but they can move the
kits without using the teeth. I've had one doe who did not
want fostered kits in her box. Much to my surprise, she had them
out of her nest in short order! I've also had does to remove a
dead kit (obviously dead for a while and overlooked by me) from
the nest.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I've been wondering about does moving kits too. I have seen a doe pick up a dish in her teeth - several times heavier than a young kit - and fling it to express her annoyance about something. Also, twice in the past two years when I have missed a dead kit, I have found the nest moved to the other end of the nest box, with all the live babies in it. So... either the doe did it or the kits themselves moved... but they were only a couple of days old and the nest was nicely made around them. Whenever I see that happening in future, I will know I missed a dead one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
MaggieJ said:
I have found the nest moved to the other end of the nest box, with all the live babies in it. So... either the doe did it or the kits themselves moved... but they were only a couple of days old and the nest was nicely made around them. Whenever I see that happening in future, I will know I missed a dead one.

Maggie, these kits were moved from the nest to the cage floor! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
Nick put some of that anti-bird goo around the legs of the hutch, and the ants have stayed off.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
ahahahni1 said:
Whats anti bird goo?

Just ran out to the garage to see what it's called. It just says, "Bird Repellent" on the tube. It comes in a tube you put in a caulking gun, and you can put it on windowsills, eaves, any place birds would light and/or try to nest. I think Nick picked it up at Ace Hardware.

We had it on hand because the blankety-blank non-indigenous blight upon our land (otherwise known as "sparrows") were nesting on the sills under the window air conditioning units.

It's effective against ants, though, as I said. Just avoid getting it on your hands. Icky sticky!

Pony!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.