Lost 35 in the last two days!!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RedHogs, Dec 8, 2006.

1. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

In my part of the country we don't have to worry about the cold very often and aren't really set up for it or insulated in the barn.... heat and watering are the main concerns.... but with 9 degree weather a pipe burst and sprayed a controller which fliped a breaker and sut down ALL the heat lamps....35 so far and i expect to lose atleast 10 more.... most were AI'd.. atleast its not a total loss or a sickness they will haunt me...I will incorporate some warning or back-up system in the future.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

So how many do you have left?? And whats the total loss of value?? Will insurance cover this???

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

How sad!! Sorry for your loss!

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Very Sorry to hear RedHogs. I was shocked to see our WI weather had dipped down all the way to southern Kansas and Missouri this past week.

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry, deeply sorry for your loss RedHogs. That's quite a blow. You have my sympathy - wish we all could help somehow....

Niki

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Oh dear! What a sad mess for you- not even thinking about the loss revenue which I imagine is extensive. You have my thoughts and prayers that your business will recover quickly. Sis

7. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Good grief. Were these young pigs or full growns that you've lost? It got down to 11 last night here.

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Oh no. I'm so sorry. We lost two baby goats this week, we think from the drastic drop in temperature. December sucks.

9. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

All the loss so far was little pigs....37 and i have rounded the corner.... The big problem was some of the mommas also got wet and went into shock so i have milk fever for sure in two and low milk in two more. one momma is raising all thats left that could not early wean, i'm medicating the sows real heavy and uping the feed protein while they dry off. I'm also gonna let them skip a cycle to help recover and keep back a extra couple gilts in case the mommas don't improve.

10. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

That's too bad, RedHogs. I sure hate when that kind of stuff happens in the barn. You think you have things set up the way you want it and then some odd thing like that happens that throws a wrench in everything. You can put in the warning systems and like as not you'll never need them again, too. Well, that's farming for you. You think you've got things figured and whoops! no, you don't. Glad you are over the hump with it, anyway. Things start to look better when that happens.

Jennifer

11. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

We have three pigs that are a month past weaning stage, and in good shape. We have had weather at ten degrees in the morning and no problems. But our three pigs are in a three sided shed on earth with hay to make a bed so they probably were quite snug.