loss off power

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by brandonhobbs, Jan 19, 2005.

1. brandonhobbs

brandonhobbs New Member

i was wondering why when i start driving to gas pedal sometimes gets stuck and my speed is going slower than it is supposed too. i just bought the car and it had been sitting up for 7 years. i changed the fuel filter, spark plugs and oil. do you think the catalyic converter needs to be blown out?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If the gas pedal is sticking, that is a mechanical problem,probably somewhere in the linkage between the pedal and the carburetor or Fuel injection mechanism. Around here, in the winter, it could be ice. Or there could be a build up of grease, oil, dirt, etc., in the cable between the pedal and engine, which could be improved by cleaning.

Jim

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Bad gasoline is probably a big potential cause. Did you drain the tank before refilling? Carb might need to be cleaned too. Or if fuel injected can just spray the cleaner into the air intake and then put some in the tank.

If you can spray carb cleaner with the engine reved way up for a whole can that also tends to flush out the Cat Converter too. Everything is probably gummed up by having old gasoline sitting in it for all those years. Blow carb cleaner thru the engine at high RPM to help clean her up. Remove vacuum lines going to manifold / carb, etc and and spray cleaner thru those too.

Absolutely critical to be running on good fresh gasoline. One good test is spray some starter fluid into the air cleaner. If she changes tempo and runs good, you got bad fuel in most cases.