Losing weight: malocclusion or??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, May 8, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

One of my Californian does has lost a lot of weight. I'm afraid her molars or even her jaw itself isn't aligned properly: the front teeth were slanted and it looks like only the right top incisor and the bottom left incisor are still meeting. Her cheeks, chin, and dewlap are wet, probably from drool. It doesn't look like she can close her mouth when she's eating.

I did trim her teeth lot long after I noticed the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. It's not something she was born with: I check all the rabbits' teeth around weaning and hers were fine. I tried feeling around her molars (gentle rabbit, thank goodness), but they *seemed* to be ok.

I'm really stumped...she's lost a lot of weight, and while she was perky and still had an appetite, when I went out there this morning, she looked rather out of it. Help!

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Oh, by the way, she's got free-choice hay and I gave her soaked pellets, oats, and raspberry leaves the other day (which she ate some of).

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Raspberry leaves and mint are lifesavers when it comes to a unwell bunny, even the sickest one will try to eat them. Could be an infected tooth, could be a jaw injury, uneven occlusion has caused some sort of trauma, if her incisors are actually slanting forward too much its a form of malocclusion. While some rabbits teeth show clearly when their kits that their going to be maloccluded some problems do develop later. She might just be one of those rabbits. How old is she? Also may be a few small problems combined that are making the situation a big problem. I'd give her a lot of fresh tasty stuff, clover, grass, raspberry leaves, and keep trying to trim her teeth back to a more normal length. Is she drinking and eliminating?