Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first noticed an adult dog a few years ago with a front tooth missing. The dog had all its adult teeth in previously when shown and pointed. One tooth was not that big of a deal according to my handler- we will just not show the tooth fairy. Then I noticed my retired girl was missign several even though gums were healthy- age? Now I am noticing 2 and 3 yr olds with missing front teeth- and they did get all thier adult choppers in (I check regularly as I will scrape off plaque that eating raw does not get when I groom). It is always front teeth (inscisors)- not canines or molars lost. I noticed today my one show boy- only has 2 top inscisors at 2 yrs old. No way to cover that in the ring when trying to show his perfect bite! I am wordering if feeding raw has something to with it or is this something genetic or are they losing them to fence fighting when they hit that magical and annoying age of male hormone surge? I know this boy has been known to fence fight-could that be it?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Willowynd said:
I first noticed an adult dog a few years ago with a front tooth missing. The dog had all its adult teeth in previously when shown and pointed. One tooth was not that big of a deal according to my handler- we will just not show the tooth fairy. Then I noticed my retired girl was missign several even though gums were healthy- age? Now I am noticing 2 and 3 yr olds with missing front teeth- and they did get all thier adult choppers in (I check regularly as I will scrape off plaque that eating raw does not get when I groom). It is always front teeth (inscisors)- not canines or molars lost. I noticed today my one show boy- only has 2 top inscisors at 2 yrs old. No way to cover that in the ring when trying to show his perfect bite! I am wordering if feeding raw has something to with it or is this something genetic or are they losing them to fence fighting when they hit that magical and annoying age of male hormone surge? I know this boy has been known to fence fight-could that be it?
My best guess would be the fence fighting. Dogs don't really use their incisors over much when eating raw food. I usually see missing incisors in dogs that bite at their cage trying to get out.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK- now how do I prevent that other than get rid of the ones that squabble? They do not fence fight for long periods- as soon as I hear it start I call the offenders by their name and tell them to stop and it stops it 9 times out of 10- especially since I will get on them for even looking at each other afterwards. Separating the dogs to have a kennel between them does not help either. If they walk inside the kennel building- there is solid dividers- but outside is where it occurs. I can't take turns locking them up because of the heat and my air conditioner for the kennel went out. I can't afford to go out and buy those chain link strips- its too expensive for the amount I would have to cover as my runs are large.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Willowynd said:
OK- now how do I prevent that other than get rid of the ones that squabble? They do not fence fight for long periods- as soon as I hear it start I call the offenders by their name and tell them to stop and it stops it 9 times out of 10- especially since I will get on them for even looking at each other afterwards. Separating the dogs to have a kennel between them does not help either. If they walk inside the kennel building- there is solid dividers- but outside is where it occurs. I can't take turns locking them up because of the heat and my air conditioner for the kennel went out. I can't afford to go out and buy those chain link strips- its too expensive for the amount I would have to cover as my runs are large.
One thing that can be used and sometimes can be bought very cheap.
Take apart venetian blinds and insert them into the chain link fence. They will slide into the chain link and make it almost solid. Sometimes they can be bought at garage sales very cheaply. Dogs are not nearly as likely to fence fight when they have trouble seeing the other dog.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
What is your kennel situation-can the dogs come in and out from their kennels to the building at will or do they have specific outside times? Maybe you could use a basket (greyhound) muzzle on the offender(s)?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they can go in and out of the kennel building at will---each outdoor run has its own inside run. Wouldn't the muzzle keep them from drinking? I am not one for muzzling dogs unless I am right there to watch and then only for a short period of time for the purpose of training.

GoldenMom said:
What is your kennel situation-can the dogs come in and out from their kennels to the building at will or do they have specific outside times? Maybe you could use a basket (greyhound) muzzle on the offender(s)?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plywood and plexiglass would require lots of it- my runs are 20 ft long. With DH being out of work that just is not feasible. That is a great idea for using slats from blinds. I bet I can post on the freecycle sites and get those. I will try and see if I can get some that way.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Willowynd said:
Plywood and plexiglass would require lots of it- my runs are 20 ft long. With DH being out of work that just is not feasible. That is a great idea for using slats from blinds. I bet I can post on the freecycle sites and get those. I will try and see if I can get some that way.
The slats from the blinds are usually just the right size to fit in chain link. If one gets damaged it is very easy to remove and replace it. They will last forever.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I don't think the basket muzzles would keep them from drinking, but that idea would have worked better if they didn't have unlimited access to the outdoor kennels.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Many years ago I bought a dog that didn't have a single tooth that could be felt with running a finger around his gums. He was an incredible dog and being toothless was never a problem of any kind. He wasn't a show dog and not having any teeth did not keep him from his work. He was a great working dog.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mom- In winter they are locked inside when the weather gets bitter cold or snow storms as the building is heated. I also lock them up for the night. Summer I used to keep them locked up during the hottest part of the day when the A/C worked- but it broke, so they now have free run in and out day and night. I must say with the heat index being over 100 these last few days I have been paranoid- as they always had the air when it was over 80- but they have been doing fine with cold water changes twice a day.

Pancho- your right, the missing teeth does not prevent him working. Also, he can still be used at stud without fear of passing it on- so his children will be able to be shown- if I can keep thier choppers from being ripped out. Here is a photo of him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts