losing hair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by elfinl, Dec 14, 2004.

1. elfinl

elfinl Member

Hi from Glynnis in Australia, I haven't been online to the goat site for quite some months now as I've been over the top busy making goat milk soap and selling at markets but I have a problem with a goat this morning. In the last 24 hrs she has lost most of the hair across her back and down her legs and when I pull at what is left it comes out in chunks. She doesn't have lice, is wormed and no sign of anything on her skin except flaking skin. We did take away one of her twins about a week ago and she cried for about three days. Could she be suffering stress from the separation? Her conditions and circumstances haven't changed and I can't think of any stressors around her except losing one of her twins. Any ideas would be most welcome
    Glynnis

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi! You are in the middle of summer? Have you poured anything on her, delice, wormer? That would have been poured down her back and went down her legs, and now she is loosing her hair?

We do have mites here and also mange that gives you bald animals with icky flaky skin. We also have contagious icthima, which is soremouth of the body, you lose large patches of hair but it usually includes raised areas like soremouth is and scabs of the full area...lovely thing to catch especially on your show stock!

Other than that...haven't a clue, if this was mineral defficiency it would be herd wide, unless she as the only one weaning or nursing kids, the only one milking or the only one heavy bred, or new, than yes they can loose hair quite quickly with a zinc defficency....a copper defficency would start with bald circles around the eyes, a sparse hair coat, but not bald. Vicki

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Two things that I am wondering about. Is she getting enough protein in her diet? I also wonder if this isn't getting close to your summer time weather in Australia? Mine always do alot of shedding in late spring when temps. start climping. :) Hope that you maybe worrying for no reason. :)

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

What abt copper defiency?
    contact this lady who also lives in Australia and pretty knowledgable has had goats for years down there.
    Irene Ramsay <i.ramsay@xtra.co.nz>

5. elfinl

elfinl Member

Thanks Sondra, I will try her
    Glynnis

6. elfinl

elfinl Member

Hi Vicki, thanks for you ideas. We are just starting summer here and so far it's been quite cool down our way. No I haven't poured anything down her back, she's not the only one nursing, milking orheavy or new!!!. The baldness is quite dry and flakey, not moist and no scabs,, no other goats showing the same signs! A mystery. Not sure whether to take her to the vet or not as he know's about as much as I do when it comes to goats....maybe i know more come to think of it!!
    Glynnis

7. elfinl

elfinl Member

Yes I think she's getting enough protein and the other goats aren't showing any similar symptoms. No it's not just shedding...overnight she's almost bald!!
    Thanks
    Glynnis

8. debbieb

debbieb New Member

Hi Glynnis...I am also from Australia with a lovely Anglo Nubian called Rupert under my care. Rupe is also losing his hair in the manner that you described on your first post. Did you ever find out the problem and how is your goat now? We also have another goat that is not affected. We have done urine and blood tests on Rupe and everything is normal!!

Cheers Deb

9. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Nutrient requirements can be very individual. You can have one goat showing symptoms and the others seem fine, but are really borderline. Do you feed BOSS (black oil sunflower seed)? My does used to get dry flaky skin and feeding about two tablespoons a day has kept them sleek and shiny for two years.

I did have one doe who lost a lot of hair, but she was milking like crazy, as well as feeding her kids, when shedding season came and she just didn't have the resources to make more hair. I took the kids off of her, and lo and behold, her coat grew in full very quickly!

10. debbieb

debbieb New Member

Thanks Laura.......he is so picky about his food at the moment that I don't think I could get him to eat anything different. How do you feed the sunflower seed? He has hay available, a lovely leafy clover as well as pasture, good quality oaten straw and he is able to pick at weeds for about an hour a day. One day he wants apples and the next he doesn't and this is how it is for a variety of foods. He is having some additional vitamins which he usually enjoys having straight from the tube......however on occasions he doesn't want that either. He spends a lot of time sniffing his food and is VERY choosey about what he does decides to eat. Is this an Anglo Nubian trait?????

Cheers
    Deb