Should DH inherit 4' of garden?

• Yes dh needs the space

• No dh gets nothing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am redoing my gardens this fall as they got away from me last year and this.
my gardens are in the center of my 1/2 acre with paths all around them not small paths mind you 11' paths so you can still drive on the property. while redoing my garden my dh asks me to move my rhubarb (thinking the man is nuts as he has never tried to excavate the 3' roots) he says there is not enough room to pull his trailer thru in that 11'. :rolleyes:

Well- IF I move the rhubarb it will take 3 years for it to recover UNLESS he gets the backhoe next week and digs it up for me, which I guess will be fine BUTTTTTTT he wants 4' of my garden to widen his space for his trailer (which he has moved 1X last night) since I planted my garden.

The measuring.... His trailer is just UNDER 8' Wide the path is 11' wide leaving him more than 18" on both sides to move his trailer.

So you guys please :help: I dont want to lose my Garden space BUT is 18" clearance enough on both sides for him?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Trailers are a pain in the butt to move, especially if you're not going in a straight as an arrow line. Plus things sometimes hang off the sides somewhat.

If the garden got away from you two years in a row, maybe 4' less of garden would be an improvement.

Most importantly, doing something your spouse wants, whenever you can, is always a good thing.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
How long is the trailer and how sharp does he have to turn at the ends of the garden? The trailer will not follow in the same tracks as the tow vehicle around corners.

Does he need to be able to move over to line up with a gate at either end?

Will he need to back up with the trailer on thru this area?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
When I set up for market gardening one year I allowed for 15 foot wide aisles. I have plenty of land so the loss of growing was not a concern at all.

My thoughts were that buckets of picked produce could be set at the edges of rows on each side of the aisles and person would still have room to stand beside a truck or trailer to do the loading of them.

Should I set up to market garden again I will probably go to 18 to 20 foot wide aisles. The reason is that my combine header width is 20 feet and I will grow wheat in the aisles and leave the stubble after harvest to slow the wind here in Kansas. I have grown in 200 foot length rows so working from the ends until harvest is over is not a big deal. With the 15 foot rows I had to be very careful with my combine header not to take out a growing crop of vegetables.

Whatever works would be my thoughts. Wider aisles--wider garden to make up the loss.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If he's going straight forward or backward, he has plenty of room.
If he's turning, then he will need some extra room.

Forgot to add;
A few years ago, I took about 200 ft² from my garden area, but was able to add 100 ft² of usable garden bed.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Well I had to drive back there in his truck to drop lumber back there and I can see his point. While it is possible and he DOES indeed get his trailer back and forth he has NO elbow room. AND since he FINALLY (after 1.5 years) finished framing my gardening shed I have decided to give him his 4' i have more left and can always add to the garden on top.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I wouldn't have given in...... if he cannot get a 8 ft landscape trailer through an 11' space, he doesn't need a trailer. I can back a 9' semi trailer through a 9' 6" space..... get him some cones and set them in the street....all he needs is practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.