lose of our herd

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Egypt Run Farm, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Egypt Run Farm

Egypt Run Farm New Member

My wife Judy and I hope our tragic lose can benefit others. On a beautiful April day a neighbor approached me with the offer of a bush that she had removed from her yard. Lots of people up our hollow enjoy watching our goats and give us corn fodder and pine branches etc for our goats as treats. This day I chained up the neighbors bush and drug it home. The girls seemed to enjoy it. The problem was it was a yew which we nor our neighbor knew was deadly to animals. Judy and I were devastated as five of our does died horrible deaths. The people from our church joined us and were great help as we all drenched goats with mineral oil and gave medications. The vet whom we reached gave us the bad news that nothing could be done to save their lives. The next morning before day light our Sunday school teacher Carl Radcliff removed the bodies of the goats so my wife and I would be spared from having to bury them ourselves. We were left with a buck a yearling doe whose milk we have to dump for the next ten days and seven kids that needed milk. Judy and I are proud members of the ADGA and the Appalachian Goat Association. As soon as members of the AGA heard of our plight we started receiving offers of milk and replacement milkers.

We wish to thank the members of the First Sams Creek Baptist church along with the members of the AGA for their support and generosity. Judy and I would especially like to thank Teresa & Mark Freeman, Debbie & Tony Tiburzi and Mary Ann & Tom Yarbrough for the replacement milking does.

Japanese Yews and other poisonous ornamental plants are commonly sold at discount stores, home improvement centers and nurseries. Japanese Yews are deadly to cattle, horses, goats and humans. So please look around your yards, homes and farms for any dangerous plants. If you have small children, pets or livestock please research before you make that next landscaping purchase. Your state extension agent is good source of information along with your vet. We would not just rely on the employees at you point of purchase for such important information.

Steven Ashcraft
    212 Egypt Run
    Mineral Wells, WV 26150
    304-494-1255

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Oh what a horrible thing! I am so sorry for your loss!!!! It's wonderful that the people in your area were able and willing to come help in your time of need. We feel that here, too, but not everyone has that. Please accept my sincere condolences. I would be completely devastated if I lost any ONE of my babies, much less all of them! :waa:

Prayers and heartfelt sorrow go to you and yours.

Sarah

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Sorry for your lose. I was forturnate enough to work for a vet who told me that only a handful of yew leaves will kill a cow - much less a smaller animal. He had seen it happen in his practice years ago. The reason it came up as we live in the nursery capital of the world and we're always getting plants from the nursery folks. Better to check out everything than be sorry. Again, I feel for you, it must have been heart breaking. :waa:

4. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Sorry for your loss. I was forturnate enough to work for a vet who told me that only a handful of yew leaves will kill a cow - much less a smaller animal. He had seen it happen in his practice years ago. The reason it came up as we live in the nursery capital of the world and we're always getting plants from the nursery folks. Better to check out everything than be sorry. Again, I feel for you, it must have been heart breaking. :waa:

5. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

So sorry about your loss of your herd. How awful. How kind of your friends and neighbors to help you out. Many, many ornimental plants are deadly or severely toxic to many animals.

6. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

What a sad thing! I'm so sorry. I hopped on the internet to see what a yew looked like. Kind of like a pine shrub? I thought goats had stomachs of iron. Guess not :( .

7. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

I'm sorry! What a horrible experience to have.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone of how many very common landscape plants are toxic to livestock. All species of yew are toxic -- not just the japanese yew. Our neighbors had a huge old yew next to the back door for over 30 years. They cut it down, tossed it over the back fence and killed 2 thousand-lb steers. What scared them the most, though, is that their retarded grandson could so easily have become fascinated with and eaten the bright red berries.

Also among the toxic list are Rhododendron, Azalea, Boxwood, Pieris (sometimes called "Andromeda"), and Red Maple. Most of us have one or more of these in our yards. Please don't think that livestock will avoid plants that are toxic! Goats in particular will chow down on most of these, given the chance, with disastrous results. Best not to allow them to nibble on anything that hasn't been positively identified. A google for "toxic plants" brings up many sites that will be helpful. One good list that includes common weeds as well as landscape plants is here: Toxic Plants rated by Toxicity

Susan

8. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Sorry about what happened to you folks. Thanks for the information and God Bless You.

9. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh you poor dears. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Thank you for sharing with us. I am moving to raw land and walking through trying to identify any toxic plants before I let my goaties loose to forage. I thought animals wouldn't eat what was poisinous to them, but I guess that's not the case.