Lord, save me from myself!!! *grin*

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Hears The Water, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

That is meant as a fervent prayer! And so far He has been very good to do so. Well, with that storm that moved through last week we got ice and then snow. Our little town is not very signifigant and nobody has been by to salt or scrape even the main roads. So I tried to get out on Friday when it was icy and didn't make it more than a few feet. Then yesterday Johnnie shoveled the driveway and I got out and ran to the bank. When I came back for him (he was helping a neighbor shovel out) I parked in front of my house and got stuck. So he shoveled me out and three neighbors came and pushed me out onto the road. I went to town and once I got on the highway the roads where clear. So today I start washing clothes planning on going to the laundromat to dry them. Johnnie rode his bike up to the convience store for some junk food and the handlebars came off and he wrecked. He called me to come get him. Well, I got out of the driveway just fine but noticed that the roads where more slick today as everything that melted yesterday was just more ice on top of the ice that fell last week. I got to the intersection of my road and the main one, didn't stop like I was supposed to as it is a bit uphill and I didn't want to loose traction. But I was not going fast enough and yep, I lost traction. I put it in reverse hoping to go back down and drive backwards to level ground and get a bit more speed, but it started sliding and I went into the snow. Fortunately it was not a ditch or anything, just my neighbors yard, but I stopped pretty close to the fire hydrant. I was scared I was going to hit it. I am not in the road, but I didn't even try to get out as I knew it was hopeless. I have rear wheel drive, on ice going uphill. Not going anywhere unless someone can dig me out or the ice melts. We are supposed to have 55 degree weather on Tuesday, so maybe I will be mobile sometime soon. Thank God I didn't hit anything or get it stuck worse. And yes, I know how stupid it was to get out just for junk food. Once the car is back, if it gets back it will be staying until the roads are clear. I am also thankful that some of my neighbors were driving by at the time I started walking the three blocks back to my house, on the ice and stopped to give me a ride up to get Johnnie, back home and then they went home and changed cars and went and got Johnnie's bike and told him how to fix it. I LOVE living in a small town. I was supposed to move my mom to the nursing home tomorrow, but it looks like that is not going to happen. *sigh* I am getting the feeling that I am supposed to stay put, but for some reason I am chomping at the bit to get out, and that is just not like me. In all honesty it has me questioning my ability to homestead or a chtf scenario where I have no mobility and no phone (phone is disconnected right now). Perhaps it is because everything feels undone because mom and Devon are 26.1 miles away from me and I cannot get to them to help them, and I have not seen Devon since Thursday. I am used to seeing her every day. Sorry for the rambeling, I think that this is what used to be called cabin fever (no not Cabin Fever the person) that restlesness that starts to drive you a bit nuts. *sigh* C'mon warmer temps!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Learning experience. Forgive yourself!

Huggs,
    Rose

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok Debbie I see you are still alive.Did you get your Heater fixed?

big rockpile

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

so are you giong to get a ticket for parking too close to the fire hydrant :) ?

We left the road this week too... I guess a bit more flamboyantly. No damage or injuries though.

5. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

qwyu[]\ZGJ;'

zj;'

XJ;'

ZX X / VBJ,./"

6. Hears The Water

Well, I certainly deserve one, so if it happens it won't surprise me. But taking into consideration that the "Jasco Metro" that patrols our area makes Barney Fife look good, I probably won't. They don't do anything more than they have to so I doubt that they will be by anytime soon. There is room for fire trucks in the off chance of a fire, though. I am not sure how close it too close anyway. Caroline, I am glad that y'all are ok after going off the road. I have deffinatly decided that if I get another car it will have 4 wheel drive...that would help wouldn't it? LOL!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

7. Hears The Water

Rocky, I don't remember which heater that was broken that I mentioned on here...if it was one in the house, then no I did not get it fixed. It works downstairs but not upstairs. If it was the propane one, nope it is on the front porch still and if it was a car heater it has its moments but it is working. I have to be honest, it is when stuff breaks down or I have to make decisions like "how to get out of the snow" that I miss John the most. Thanks for listening y'all.
    God bless you and yours
    Deb