Lopsided Udder

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shelljo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

My doe is due soon--no exact date, as she was covered at the bucks home and was there 6 weeks.

Her udder is developing, but one side is looking engorged, the other looks much smaller, almost as if she had just been nursed. I felt the udder yesterday, it feels cool, or body temp, not hot, no tenderness, not red. Some lumpiness, but I didn't cause any discomfort.

Could she just be "filling" up oddly? Any reasons for concern that anyone else might see?

This is her second kidding. Had 3 first time. Nubian.

2. MimmyJ

MimmyJ Member

It could be that when she freshens, that side will fill up just fine.
    But, I'd keep in mind that a lopsided udded is a good indication of mastitis, and probably take a milk sample to the lab to have it tested.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

My Saanen doe has done this also....but she was not even bred...I milk her out every few days because the one side gets rather huge....goats??

4. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

If she had mastititis, wouldn't I see other symptoms other than one large size? No heat, no tenderness, just size.

5. Lucy Byrd

Lucy Byrd New Member

We have a goat like this and she is always like this when she kids. We call her our Picaso goat. I am afraid we have several goats with regect problems that my family can't get rid of. They are family pets and not used for breeding stock. The Picaso never does give much milk though.

6. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Age could also have something to do with it. We have an older doe. When she was younger, her udder was beautiful, but as she got older, one side of her udder got huge and the other side stayed the same. We dried her and figured it would go away, but it came back the same way the next kidding. No lumps or hotness or mastitis or anything, she's just getting old. As a matter of fact, she's still our best milker.