Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about a goat with only one side of her udder milking. I had a few singletons born and managed to keep both sides of the udders of all the mamas working, except for one.
Due to an intense schedule one weekend, this goat's udder dried up completely on one side! I am using her to nurse (in the milkstand) a kid that is young enough to need a lot of milk but would NOT take the bottle, I tried for DAYS very patiently and only managed to dribble a few ounces in after a long time each feeding. (Her own kid, a buckling, was sold at a few weeks old, at the same time I sold the mama of the kid she is nursing in the stand.)
I don't know how this works---if she kids next year and, say, has twins, will she still only have one working udder? If this is true, I must cull her, which would be a shame.
TIA! Jill.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
How long ago did she dry up on that side? I would commence milking her out completely on both sides, providing stimulus to the dry side as well, twice a day every day. It isn't enough to keep both sides of the udder working, they have to be emptied at least once a day and preferably twice...even if there are kids nursing.

I assume she will freshen from both sides in the spring unless there is an unresolved mastitis issue, which I would screen for at this time. How she performs in the spring willl likely depend on whether or not her udder is emptied completely twice a day every day from day one.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,853 Posts
Jillis,
I don't know if you are raising goats for showing or selling pedigreed goats, but I can tell you that the one teated goat that I got in OzarkJewels' clearance sale is a fantastic doe. Even after the trauma of being moved from the only home she knew, we are getting a solid three quarts per day from the one teat.

My milking partner said to tell you that he'd drive however far to pick up another one teated goat is she is as good as our Orange. :)

If you are milking for household consumption, don't be too quick to cull.

Just my two cents.

Rose

1 - 3 of 3 Posts