Lop rabbits...good mommas?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AtHomeDaughter, May 5, 2006.

1. AtHomeDaughter

AtHomeDaughter Well-Known Member

Just read some posts bout rabbits eating their babies and wanted to know if lops are good moms? Also, if your rabbits are outdoors, what about heat and babies?

2. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I just happen to have 2 holland lops that are good mothers. So good in fact the previous owner would like to have one of them back.

3. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Lops make super moms!! :)

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Just like any other breed it depends on the rabbit IMO. I have a mini-lop doe who is a terrible mom and I've given up on her and I have a Fr. Lop doe who is wonderful. I've had many breeds over the years and have found that some does just aren't into being a mother sadly enough-and others do wonderfully. Unfortunately you usually won't know until you've waited the long time it takes to grow up a bunny to find out.
    About the heat....depends on how "hot' is 'hot'. Any rabbit gets uncomfortable in the high heat...around here that is above 85 or so. I keep mine in the shade. I would think that the larger ears on the lops would give of more heat than regular ears and would help to cool them. When it it very hot I take a wrung-out rag and wipe down the ears and backs of the rabbit to help cool them. Sometimes a pop bottle with frozen water to put in the cage is helpful too---some rabbits will appreciate them and lay next to them and some look at them as a football to be tossed about the cage and chewed on. If a cage can be placed in the shade under a tree or something where a breeze can help cool the cage they are mcuh more comfortable. Hope that helps.

5. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I used to raise french lops 16 years ago and they were fantastic mom's. Now the rex that someone gave me was a horrible mom- ate her babies every time and would bite me all the time. Never could tame her. I wound up naming her Witch with a B. Mind you this was only one doe but ruined me on them for good. Never again. I tried a few holland lops too and they were not quite as good mommas as the frenchies. I wish I could find some frenchies for a reasonable price around here. I really miss having them!

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I would agree that much of a doe's mothering ability depends on the individual. I raise mainly Californians, and some are better mothers than others...one particular family line that I have seems to be better than the others.

From what I've heard, mothering ability is often hereditary...so if you have a poor mother, you should probably cull her.

During really warm weather, I try to check the babies often...and if it gets really warm and the bunnies have some fur, I have even put 2-liter pop bottles of frozen water directly in the nest box at one end...that way they can crawl away from it if they get too cold. Wetting the rabbit's ears, putting the cage in the shade where it can catch a breeze, or even running a fan next to your cages can all help.

Summer is a really bad time of the year to leave dead kits in the nestbox very long too...check the nests every day, maybe even twice a day! You wouldn't believe how fast things can decompose. :(