loosing all the piglets HELP

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mpn, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mpn

mpn New Member

Gilt farrowed Wednesday at noon till midnight. 10 piglets. Guilt would not release milk. Feed babies goat's colostrum that I received from a neighbor who had the colostrum stored in the freezer. Have been hand feeding piglets every two to three hours round the clock. I'm down to 1 piglet and it's on it's way out. All have shown the same signs, very active, next feeding their heads are hanging down, next feeding on their sides, eyes closed, barely take milk, legs kicking, next feeding or two their gone. Two days later was able to find someone that had oxytosin to give to the guilt, milk let down almost immediately, but she never took to the piglets, too dangerous to keep them around her. I've drenched the babies, I've added goat milk replacer to the goat's milk for more nutrients and I can't seem to do anything to save them. Any help would be appreciated, also does this guilt need to go or will this next time be completely different.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard thad if you hed a sow rip roaring drunk that they will settle down and accept thiere babies. As I remember, about 2 gallons of beer is the dosage.

3. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Are YOU for REAL? Does that really happen? wow!
    AJ

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey cow, that comes from James Herriot, RCVS, don't have any first hand knowledge. The only critter I ever got drunk was a big tom turkey, and he wanted to kick my ass afterwards.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

friend of mine that farrows would give an ugly mom a bottle of home made wine(strong hooch!!) to get her to settle . worked like a charm!! we don't have time to farrow so just buy our piglets through him. sounds like the imuglobin of the goat milk did not take . i would tye her and try and milk enough colostrum out that you might save another litter. frozen it keeps over a year and slowly thawed(no microwave)