loose minerals or mineral/protein block??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by okiemom, Dec 20, 2006.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I am taking another look in what is new w/ goat feed and supliments. They have come a long way from just a few years ago.

I have used Sweetlix loose minerals w/ rumensin. They seemed to work really well. I am thinking about using the minerals in the protein block. Do protein blocks work w./ goats? are they needed? Anyone use this???

I saw on the lable that rumensin is not to be used on lactating goats. Are they meaning milk for human use?? :shrug: Will the cocci meds hurt goat babies?? I hate it when I am told not to do something and there is no why. I remember better whey the why is given. :cool:

What other brands are out there that are good. I have also tried Purina minerals, but I don't theink there was any cocci meds in it.

I was also thinking of getting a ground mineral feeder like for cows and was wondering if it would work for goats. The goats must nose up under the flap to get to the minerals. I would think this would keep the minerals clean and dry.

I had a wall mounted one but they still managed to rip it off the wall. :help:

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Loose minerals are way better for goats than a block. They have a hard time getting what they need from a block.
    I am pretty sure the warning for lactating animals is because of human consumption. Cocci meds would not harm the babies & would actually be good for them as a preventive.
    My minerals are A,D,& E cattle minerals. It does not have a cocci preventive in it. I use Dimethox for cocci prevention. That way I am sure they are each getting it in the proper dosage.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I use both sweetlix blocks (meat maker), no rumensin, and loose dairy minerals (golden blend by hoeggers). I disagree that blocks are somehow less effective that loose minerals - I have several goats who won't touch the loose minerals. I put both out and let the goats choose. They use up both in about the same amounts. Do you know for sure you need a cocci preventative? It's just my management style, but I prefer to treat isolated cases of coccidiosis instead of trying to prevent it because it's not very common where I live. I've only had two cases among all of my species of animals in 20 years. For delivery, I just pour my loose minerals in a tub on the ground (under cover). The sweetlix blocks I put in a block holder.

4. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

I use loose. I tried the block and my goats will not touch it. This may be just my goats, but with the looes I feel I can keep a better eye on how much is being eaten, and adjust my rations if need be. Mike

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Most blocks end up as something new to climb on....Loose minerials in a PVC homemade feeder is the way to go.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We use both Sweetlix Meat Maker loose minerals (without Rumensin- we have Bovatech in our feed, they share the heifer feed) and the 20% Protein blocks by Sweetlix.
    The Protein blocks made by Sweetlix is different then most other blocks I have seen. They are softer and easier for the goats to chew. They give when wet whereas the 3-in-1 Beef and Horse block we used to offer the goats made by Sweetlix required them to lick and lick and lick..they did benefit from it, but they have done much better since moving to the blocks and even better since moving to the loose minerals. I don't put out the protein blocks much except during the winter when the does are heavy bred.
    I tried the tub once and that was all it took. It was horrible and they would not eat it (it became a play toy). The empty tub is great for the loose minerals though...lol
    A lot depends on your area, what your goats are expected to produce, your water source, etc. So many factors go into it.
    I am finding that I may be shy on my copper levels so I am looking at other options. Oddly enough, it looks like the Meat Maker is the highest copper source of the loose minerals available at the Co-op currently.
    For now, they work well.