Loose horn

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I know i've heard about it before, but what should I do about an 8 week old pygmy doeling with a loose horn? She's got a little bit of blood around the base, it's tender to touch, and it wiggles. Feels attached still but a good bump or pull would probably remove it. Will it heal and fall off or will it heal and stay in place? Will she be dehorned on one side if it falls off? She'd look pretty darn funny, lol. I'm pretty sure she either fell off of something while playing or got in a sparring match with one of her older sisters/auntie. Should I put something on it like 7% iodine? I don't have anything like Bluekote.

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My wether who had a single (deformed) horn missed when debudding just lost his. It was broken and lying against his head one day and gone the next. There is still a bud that may try regrowing but it seems healed otherwise. Another little wether who had been frostbitten right after birth had a deformed horn and it disappeared recently too. That one seems to be healing over just fine also.

I did watch to make sure the flies were doing anything nasty.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

My wether knocked one of his off. It bled for a little while and finally grew back

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't say whether it will fall off, but if it does, it's likely to grow back since the horn bud wasn't burned off. I wouldn't put 7% iodine on a kid's head. Just keep it clean and free of flies and watch that it doesn't get infected. If you have nolvasan, you can clean it with that.