Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was planning on going and hanging out with friends, BUT....

My final doe to kid this year looks like she's gonna pop today! Can't wait to see what she has... she's my best color producer and I want a lovely buckling out of her this year. So I'm charging up my camera batteries and changing into some barn clothes, putting my hair up and getting the molasses out! Woo!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup, they're on their way! She's big enough to have quads in there too. She had quads last year, so I wouldn't be surprised... should have pics up tonight!

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
WOOHOO! Can't wait to see them, Dona! Hope she has an easy time.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as much as I thought she was carrying at least trips, it looks like just twins! She's still huge even now after kidding... and it wasn't an easy birth. With her, it never really goes smoothly... Her kids always are HUGE and often mispresent.

Anywho, firstborn is a huge dark caramel with black trim doeling. She was large and I had to help pull.

Secondborn is another huge doeling, this one black and tan sundgau. She was trying to come headfirst... her feet got hung up on the cervix, hehe. After I got them straight, it was still quite a pull to get her moving.

Now I've bumped, checked her inside, bumped, checked... and though she's still huge, I've decided that she just doesn't have any more in there... the one year I REALLY wanted a buckling out of her, she gives me twin doelings. :rolleyes: just my luck, huh.

this doe also has one side damaged from a bout of mastitis back in '05, so only one side of her udder works effeciently. Well, actually, both sides of the udder 'work' but scar tissue or something blocks the teat canal so no milk really moves down there. Is there anything I can do for that? I hope she can care for twins. Usually I pull all kids leaving just one on the doe, but I HATE pulling just one kid to raise, they become to 'clingy' if they don't have a brother/sister to live with. Plus, fair is next week so I don't really want to bottle feed them. ANywho, so far I've seen both get a good first meal and now all that needs done is a shower and cleanup. :)

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
If you really want to leave both kids on the doe and and she isn't making enough milk for both, you can always supplement them while they are on the dam.

·
Cashmere goats
2,023 Posts
Congratulations on the babies. I know of several does that take care of twins with only one teat. I hope al goes well for you.
We are at fair next week also. Good luck there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a doe that looked like trips but had only two big bucklings. If you want a buckling you can have one of mine! :D I got all bucklings this year.

I'd love to see pics!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for no pics yet. I'm working on them.

The cool thing about this kidding is that it evens out the doe count for the year to 6. So now I've had 6 doelings and 6 bucklings born this year. Not bad at all. Oh, did I mention that buck has only thrown one buckling ever? I'm pretty sure that buck is a keeper. :)

ETA: Pictures are now in a separate thread. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts