Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
It is expensive, but so tasty :)
I was going to suggest what @altair did - about the birch trees. Are you going to go for it?
The only thing holding me back right now is that I understand I need a food grade bucket with a lid to store the sap until I boil it. Amazon is pricey so I am hoping the hardware store will have one.

I’m thinking hard about it.
After I posted last night I hit Craigslist. There are some things for sale, but they were either for more commercial operations, or wanted to sell in bulk, like for the buckets.
I found some basic starter kits on EBay for about $100, but that doesn’t even include everything I’d need.
I think my old propane turkey deep frier would work well for heat, and has a big pot, but I’m thinking I might have gave it away when I moved last. :(
I wish I would have thought of this sooner, as now I feel rushed as weather conditions are coming soon I would think , and I’ve never done this, so I don’t know if I missed the boat.
After I posted last night I hit Craigslist. There are some things for sale, but they were either for more commercial operations, or wanted to sell in bulk, like for the buckets.
I found some basic starter kits on EBay for about $100, but that doesn’t even include everything I’d need.
I think my old propane turkey deep frier would work well for heat, and has a big pot, but I’m thinking I might have gave it away when I moved last. :(
I wish I would have thought of this sooner, as now I feel rushed as weather conditions are coming soon I would think , and I’ve never done this, so I don’t know if I missed the boat.

·
Premium Member
25,225 Posts
I have a couple taps and buckets but no tubing and no maples.

Sap runs best when the days are above freezing or sunny and close to freezing and nights are below freezing.

You don't want to tap mulberry trees. Supposedly the sap is hallucinogenic and possibly toxic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is expensive, but so tasty :)
I was going to suggest what @altair did - about the birch trees. Are you going to go for it?
The only thing holding me back right now is that I understand I need a food grade bucket with a lid to store the sap until I boil it. Amazon is pricey so I am hoping the hardware store will have one.

I have a friend in TN actually and when I went to visit her there around 2002 there was a store at the mall that sold stuff that said "yankee go home." I laughed and laughed. And then I did, of course.
I would try to mooch a food grade bucket from a restaurant or bakery. They get some of their stuff in five gallon pails and when they are empty they are usually more of a nuisance than an asset to them. One can always ask and remember, be bold, they can't kill you for asking and if they do kill you, they can't eat you.

I am originally from Connecticut, grew up in Arizona and am now in Missouri. I tell people that I'm a Yankee by birth, a Rebel by choice and an American by the grace of God.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There are, but to my knowledge no one makes syrup. I could be wrong

We make molasses
Weird that no one makes syrup but you have maples! ? crazy :unsure:
Make molasses from what? Is it a slow process?
My mom always used to say, "you are as slow as molasses!"

Don't despair, there is always next year! You might not have missed the boat..... I don't know what the temps are like where you are....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts