Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scarlet's ligaments are gone and her udde is heeeeuge. Right now it looks like she's in passive labor at the moment. needless to say, I'm getting ulcers. How long would you say until I should really start worrying?

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Each doe is different. Sunny (Copper-Hill W.W. Sunshine) lost her ligaments this morning. She had two HUGE bucklings about 2 hours ago. Mom has already been milked & is resting comfortably in the barn. The boys have full tummies & are taking a nap in a rubbermaid tub, in the kitchen. Sunny was a tad uncomfortable by noon, but still just hanging with the other does- eating her weight in hay. Around 3:30, she had the beginnings of a string of goo, by 4:00 she was laying down pushing... so you may very well have kids by now???
good luck & congrats
susie, mo ozarks

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
How long would you say until I should really start worrying?
For me it would be past time to start worrying ;) I'd be camping out with her with my kidding kit ready and towels getting warmed up in the dryer. Keep us posted when you can!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahahaha she's making me wait. I was up every other hour going out to check on her... nothing. Today, she's looking pointier though it looks like she's stopped having contractions, her udder is still really tight and she's doing the 'smiling' thing and the whites of her eyes are pretty obvious.

I'll probably have kids when I come home tonight. craphead doe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aaaaaaargh. NOTHING. Her udder shrunk some too. hahahahahahaha I'm not getting up and checking her every couple of hours... but I am calling my vet just to make sure I'm not going insane.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You jinxed it now! She'll cross her legs until you are all dressed up to go somewhere and then be screaming with one hind leg and one fore hanging out! You are so in for it!:banana02:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noooooooo... we're going to wait a few days more, apparently.. argh. I so tiiiiiiiired. She was pawing today... but nothing more.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Gretta started pawing a few hours before she delivered....;) Hang in there! I went through what you are going through for 2 MONTHS!!! If I can survive so can you...I'm a woos.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
1) No doe shall kid until total chaos has been reached for all involved. Your owner's house must be a wreck, their family desperate for clean clothes, and their social life non-existant.
2) Midwives must reach the babbling fool status before you kid out.l
3) For every bell, beeper camera or whistle they attach to you, kidding must be delayed at least one day for each item. If they use an audio monitor, one good yell per hour will keep things interesting.
4) If you hear the words "She's nowhere near ready, she'll be fine while we are away for the weekend" Wait till they load the car, then begin pushing.
5) Owner stress must be at an all time high! If you are int he care of someone else, 10-15 calls a day is a sign you are getting close.
6) When you hear the words "I can't take it anymore" wait at least 3 more days.
7) You MUST keep this game interesting. False alarms are mandatory! Little teasers such as looking at your stomach, pushing your feed around then walking away from it and nesting are all good for a rise. Be creative and find new things to keep the adrenaline pumping in those who wait.
8) The honor of all goats is now in your hands. Use this time to avaenge all your barnmates. Think about your friend who had to wear that silly costume . Hang onto that baby for another day. Oh...they made her do tricks too? Three more days seems fair. Late feedings, bad haircuts, those awful wormings can also be avenged at this time.
9) If you have fulfilled all the above and still not sure when to kid, listen to the weather forecast on the radio that has been provided by those who wait. Severe thunderstorms is what you are waiting for. I the heart of the storm, jump into action! The power could go out and you could have the last laugh. You have a good chance of those who wait missing the whole thing while searching for a flashlight that works.
10)Make the most of your interrupted nights. Beg for food each time someone comes to the barn to check on you. Your barn mates will love you as the extra goddies will fall their way too.
Remember, this code of honor was designed to remind man of how special goats are. Do your best to reward those who wait a beautiful doeling to carry on the Doe Code of Honor to the next generation.

·
Small scale homesteader
725 Posts
Hey, I already qualify for the first two.. Guess I'm in real trouble when my three does kid in March.. All due in the same week!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahahahaha wonder if I should stage a faux get away. dorkwad is still sitting with her legs crossed

I can never remember to take my digital camera out with me, sooo cell pictures.

That's dad to the left and my mini stallion to the right... I did put a field fencing feeder around that bale.

After chasing Bugs into his pen and letting the older doelings out. Doesn't matter anyway... He seems to only be into red does. dsfsdf weirdo.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you believe that I just checked her and there's like NOTHING going on back there... and I can just about touch fingers around her tail?

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Maybe you should "go in" and make sure everything is positioned....yikes!

1 - 20 of 216 Posts