looking to rent in central mo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jynxt, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I realize that this is a long shot but I am so frustrated and worn out right now....sigh. My family is moving back to central missouri after being in oklahoma for a little over a year. We are having a really hard time finding a place to rent up and I wondered if any of you might happen to know of a place for rent within 45 minutes of Columbia MO. We have been looking online but a lot of the smaller papers don't publish their classifieds online. We don't want to live in Columbia and would prefer to be in a rural area. We need at least three bedrooms...we have 5 children. We will be moving in around the first of July. I would appreciate it if you all would let me know if you hear of anything that might work for us. We are quiet folks, we keep to ourselves pretty much and we make pretty great neighbors :eek: .....I can even have our former next door neighbor ( 10 years and now best friends) call if you need the reference.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeannie

2. adofus

adofus Member

Don't know if you have tried this, but, personally I would call, or better yet, write the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to mail you a copy of the sunday classfieds. It's worked for me in the past.

Best of Luck

3. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Thanks Adofus! I hadn't thought that would be something the chamber would do but I sure will be calling!
    Take care
    Jeannie

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Easier yet get the name of the News Paper and log in on it,lots of times they show Rental and Job listings.

big Rockpile

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Local realestate agents may have a list as well, sometimes they act as property managers for out of state owners. Check town your interested in and "Google" realesate offices for that town.

6. judyinmissouri

judyinmissouri Member

Try going to "google" or Yahoo and typing in Missouri Newspapers...will be able to get to a list of towns and the newspapers.
    GOOD LUCK....
    judy in missouri

7. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

THE COLUMBIA TRIBUNE IS ON LINE,
    AS IS THE MEXICO LEDGER

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE fULTON SUN NEWSPAPER

THE JEFFERSON CITY PAPER IS ON LINE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS CALLED.

IF YOUR LOOKING CHEAP LIVING, I WOULD GO CALLAWAY COUNTY. BOONE IS VERY
    RESTRICTIVE. CENTRALIA IS NICE, IN BOONE. AS IS HALLSVILLE. BETWEEN COLUMBIA AND JEFFERSON CITY IS VERY EXPENSIVE. WEST OF COLUMBIA IS FAIRLY REASONABLE. I DON'T LIKE THE WATER TASTE WEST OF THE MISSOURI RIVER THOUGH. TOO MUCH SULFER.

RANDY

8. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of your ideas everyone. I did find all of the Missouri newspapers online, problem is that most of the small town papers don't put the classifieds online even if they do have a paper online. My dh spent most of his time growing up in the Columbia area, and I lived there myself for quite a few years. We also lived in Howard county for a time and most of my family is from Callaway county.

I agree with you Randy about the water west of the Missouri river, but that goes for a lot of areas in Missouri. A well driller once told me that the ground mineral content is so high in lots of places there that digging a well just isn't worth it. Boone county, Cole county and the western side of Callaway have all gotten so pricey! I am suffering severe sticker shock now and thinking maybe moving farther out from Columbia is what we need to consider.

Thanks for all the ideas!