Looking for WP horse

Discussion in 'Equine' started by aoconnor1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. aoconnor1

aoconnor1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for a step up horse for our soon to be 9 year old grand daughter. We are going the Western Pleasure route, with some arena trail and maybe poles thrown in for fun. We are in a North Central Texas, but I am willing to have a horse shipped here if it's the right horse, or if it's within a half day drive I can pick up. We want either mare or gelding, 14-16 hands, at most up to age 15. Western Pleasure shown successfully. Kid savvy, no issues. Will need to see several videos and a clean bill of health from your local vet.

If you have or know of anything, please contact me via pm. I am not putting a price out there, but will tell you if you need to know by pm. Thanks for any info....

2. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

I read you were having trouble finding one in another thread and I was thinking, "I wish you'd have been looking a couple of years ago" because some neighbors had a very well trained WP mare for sale. I looked at and rode her for a friend that was looking and I ended up buying a different mare from the same people for myself. It then dawned on me that it was 17 years ago not a couple when I thought about how old that mare is now vs when I bought her. Time flies. LOL Sorry, that's no help to you at all.

aoconnor1 likes this.

3. aoconnor1

Teej, that's funny! Time has a way of making things seem more recent sometimes, but other times it seems like a lifetime ago when it really was just last week!

I think I found a gelding for her. He isn't a WP horse per se, but he is a very gentle, quite boy with a really nice jog and lope. I can put my grand daughter on him for a few years and let them compete in open shows, getting her feet wet and getting him into the ring. Then we will look at a really well finished show horse for her and the gelding will be passed to my younger grand daughter to compete on.

The silly thing is, I have 35 horses of my own! Most are rescues from the sheriffs office or local vets, but I do have a hefty handful of my own horses. Of those, half are retired and half are too young for kids. I show some of them, but I won't put a child on any of those ones as they are heavy duty reiners and cutters who are too much handle for a young rider. In several years, yes maybe, and I have a couple I am grooming for the WP type ring, but other than that they are cow horses and won't be right for WP.

Teej likes this.
  4. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Yes and the older I get the faster the time flies. The sad part is that mare (Freckles) I bought from those people was bought to step in for my old kid/beginner mare (Gracie) and now Frecks is 22 and Gracie is buried out in the pasture. Anyway, glad you found something. Seems like when you're not in the market you hear about all these nice horses for sale and then when you are in the market you can't find a thing.

Irish Pixie and aoconnor1 like this.
  5. aoconnor1

So true! 8 months ago there was a seriously great WP mare that sold in our area for a minimal amount compared to what is available right now. My vet didn't think to let me know about the mare because I had only recently started lessons for my grand daughter and hadn't been to a show yet. GD had her first show in January and was hooked, we have been searching for the next horse since then and couldn't find a darned thing!! The gelding I am buying her is not what I was looking for exactly, but he should work fine for her for now.

Teej likes this.
  6. aoconnor1

Well, I couldn't get comfortable on buying the gelding. I passed on him. The day after I did that I found an absolute treasure! A 5 year old Palomino QH mare, well broke, very sound minded, and a same sire sibling to a yearling colt I own. She is halter bred, but her bottom side has some nice WP horses in it, so I am comfortable with this choice. I never put a kid on a young horse like this, but this mare is so quiet and calm that I have no worries about her. Amazing what can happen when I ask God to help me find the right horse!!

The second part to all of this...our grand daughters instructor is moving at the end of May, she will no longer be in our area working with the kids here. My vet gave me the name of a WP/Western riding instructor in our area, and after talking to her I am very excited for where she can take our grand daughter and the new horse. She sounds wonderful, and we start riding with her in a couple of weeks, time enough for me to pick up the new mare and get her settled here before starting lessons.

7. aoconnor1

I picked up the mare on Monday, Introduced my grand daughter to her Tuesday, and it was love at first sight for them both!! The new mare adores my GD and the feeling is totally mutual. I led the mare around with each grand child on her for a few minutes, one at a time, then I gave my 8 yr old GD a leg up, handed her the lead rope, and she and her new mare had a lovely few minutes. When they were done and the kids packed back up in their SUV to head home, the new mare, "Crystal", walked to the front of the vehicle and stared in at older GD, waiting for her to get back out or let her in to go with them:)

I love a happy ending:)

GrannyCarol, Teej and CountryMom22 like this.
  8. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Congrats on finding that needle in the haystack! Love the happy ending and would love to see a picture of the mare if you care to share one.

aoconnor1 likes this.
  9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, it didn't happen without a picture!

aoconnor1 and Teej like this.
  10. aoconnor1

Lol! I have tried uploading a pic, but photobucket isn't cooperating! I'll get one soon though if I can! And yes, lots of pics happened that day:)

Teej likes this.