looking for wool carders

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ann Mary, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Could someone point me to where I can purchase hand held wool carders? Do they come in different sizes and if so, what size is a good size to work with? Thanks!

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

There's a spinning place here in town that I got mine from, but they do sell them on ebay. You don't really save any money on ebay, from what I can tell. Another option would be to scour the ads in magazines devoted to wool/sheep.

3. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

4. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hello,

I started to reply this once already but then I realized, I'm in ontario and your in Idaho. kinda far apart and Concidering the place I'm telling you about is here too. Well I thought I would let you know.

That Canadain Cooperative Wool Growers sells carders of several different sizes. They do ship and have a good selection. I co-op at the Wool Growers through school and I get to see the items first hand. I will try to get you a website and then you can contact them about the carders and shipping.

http://www.wool.ca/english/docs/0/1346/1384.asp

There is carders on this page, just scroll down the page a little bit.

Ordering:
    http://www.wool.ca/english/docs/0/1341.asp

Melissa

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a brand new pr. (for a Christmas present and they costed less than used ones on ebay. Mine are from Ashford. Yes, they come in different sizes. You need to know what type of fiber you will be carding... cotton, fine fiber, wool.

6. Ann Mary

I know NOTHING about what I'm doing....I want to get some fresh wool this spring from my friend and wash it and card it to make a wool mattress topper for our bed. I've been told that I should send the wool out to be cleaned and carded....???? but I don't know if that's just because it is a BIG job or if I'll end up with a lumpy mattress topper if I do it myself. I'm not afraid of hours of hand carding the wool if I will end up with an evenly "fluffed" topper and save paying someone $150 to clean and card it for me. What do you think? Should I pay the $$ to have it batted up or can I do this myself...eventually? I have an old bathtub to which I can get warm water to clean the wool and a trampoline to lay it on to dry.....but can a person do a good job "fluffing after that by hand???? Thanks for the help! :)

7. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Ann Mary, it's going to be a super big job, but if you don't mind all the hand carding you'll have to do, it may be a rewarding project.
    I bought large Ashford carders, and I actually don't mind hand carding. I had a drum carder but sold it. My hand carders were, I think, called the "student cards", or something like that. They were around $60, but they should last.
    I'm "cheap" and generally don't like paying for services that I can do myself. However, I am going to send out a few fleeces out this year just to try it out.

8. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

I just learned to spin in Nov. with a drop spindle but my guess is that with hand cards you might have a hard time doing a mattress topper because hand cards give you lots of little bits of fluffed wool rather than a relative large continuously connected piece with a drum carder. Then when you put them in the mattress topper (depending on how you stuff it of course) your little bits could shift around a lot. If you're stuffing firmly like for a doll or toy (I make Waldorf dolls so I DO have experience with this) small pieces are better, but I would think that larger flatter bits would work better for your project. I could be wrong on this though since my experience is pretty limited.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

LOL; super big doesn't do it justice! I'd send it out. I don't mind hand carding, but no way would I attempt a topper. The commercially done stuff will be nice and even and save you a year and a half in labor :p

10. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I would consider how much my time is worth, per hr. Then call and find out how much a topper would be. I love spinning, carding and cleaning the wool but I would think that something that large would be better off 'farmed' out. Good luck. Deb

11. Ann Mary

I'm thinkin' that you guys are right...maybe I'd better send it out. Thanks!