Looking for wood stove plans from TMEN

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I have a stack of manilla envelopes several inches high filled with articles and plans from TMEN and other homesteading-type magazines. Years ago I clipped and saved plans for a wood stove made from two or three old water heater tanks. It's an upright stove so has a small footprint, but it has an oven, a cooktop, and a water reservoir. I have a friend here who does metalwork and was thinking I'd show him the plans for that stove and see if he could build it for me, but I CAN'T FIND THEM!!! Aaaarrrgh! :) I've gone through my envelopes three times and it isn't in there! So I was wondering if anyone still has that old TMEN (it must be twenty years old or more), and if you do, if you could photocopy or scan those plans for me. I'd be glad to pay something for them. Also, if anyone here has ever built or used one of those stoves I'd be glad to hear comments on how it actually worked.

Thanks,

Kathleen in Oregon

2. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i remember that article - couldn't begin to put my finger on it - but, have you used the search on tmen site ? if nothing else, it might refer you to an issue -

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

4. Freeholder

Wow!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't realize they had all the old issues archived! What a resource -- maybe I don't need that stack of manilla envelopes any more! ;) (Nah, you never know whether the power will be on when you need some info, so I'll be keeping my stash of articles!).

Thanks again, everyone!

Kathleen

5. Freeholder

Well, hmmm. I just spent an hour or so browsing through the TMEN archives -- lots of useful stuff there, I saved a few articles, and will go back and save some more. And, I found the stove plan I was looking for -- but all that's there are some pictures. The text is entirely missing! So, back to my original request: the article title is Mother's Compact Woodstove Heater (at least that is the title in the archives, I have a feeling they've altered the titles a little in some cases), and it is in issue #72. If anyone has that back issue, could you get in touch with me, please? I will pay for cost of copying that article and mailing it.

Thank you,

Kathleen in Oregon

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Kathleen,PM me so i dont forget and early next week I will look it up,scan it and send it to you in adobe acrobat form, PDF.I will need your email address too.
    BooBoo
    ps,its been awhile,but I will figure out again how i send those things,I think its PDF

7. Freeholder

8. mightybooboo

Thanks for the PM,I will send em email Monday or Tuesday.If i cant email em,will copy and send to you, no problem.
    OK,just checked,I have it,its three pages.
    PS,Mrs BooBoo got me the pretty much complete TMEN from issue one to 1990 I think, for christmas a couple years ago on Ebay,its an awesome resource library.
    BooBoo

9. mightybooboo

Files are downloading and headed your way in PDF form,if you need jpg let me know,but those are 2 mb files per page to get good resolution,its at least a thirty minute upload for my dial up.
    Enjoy
    BooBoo

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the article written by Ken Kern? He wrote a book that included the article with a whole lot more information. The name of the book is Ken Kern's Masonry Stove. He included many modifications made by others around the world.

11. mightybooboo

It doesnt have the authors name on it.
    BooBoo