Looking for Water pumping ideas.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChuckinVA, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

I have a small creek that runs through my property. I would like to utilize it to water my garden and to water my Ducks and Chickens. I'm looking for ideas on how to get the water from the creek to the garden, chickens and ducks when I need it. The creek is about 30 feet from the chicken coop and about the same from the garden. I would prefer some mechanical means but I do have extension cords and could provide power if necessary. I don't want to spend a lot of money on an electric pump.What would you do?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

there is an in stream pump that is driven by current .does not look hard to make if you were handy . will try and find it on line but saw it in farm show magazine

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If the creek has enough drop in slope on your property the usual solution is a ram which can be home built. If you don't have enough fall an undershot water wheel could be "run" by the flow. Use the flow to run a sucker pump or add very small water containers to the wheel itself. As they rotate with the wheel, you'll have to use a trough to collect the water as it falls out. It won't be efficient but it'll work except in the winter, you're back to carrying.

Probably the best thing to do is run an underground line from the house to a hydrant close to your garden and livestock.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are thinking of as I'm not the least bit "handy". But I can tell you that the stream that I am on is about 20 ft. lower than my property.

So, I've got a shelf down there that's about 2 ft above the water and I set a hmmm, is it called a "Jet Pump"(?)on a piece of 2 X 12" down there. There is heave duty wiring that leads up from the pump to a control box that is fastened to a fence post and I've built a "box" around it to protect it from the weather. And of course this electrical line comes back to the house and is plugged in just below my AC unit.

The pump has a piece of 2" pipe that goes down into the water and I put a filter on the end, and this will operate in water as shallow as about 4". Usually though the water is at least 18" deep.

Then, the top of the pump has the 2" pvc pipe that comes up the bank, through the brush and attaches to a mainline (1" pvc)that goes to various faucets(out to my ducks,the bird bath, over to the garden etc.)here and there.

As noted previously I can't use this in the winter as the water gets deeper from rain and run off and it easily gets above where the pump usually sits. For winter time I rely on a spring and pond up above on the hill.

Good luck with your plans. It's sure nice to have other water sources other than the well. ;)

LQ

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thats it!! thanks darren wont look now!

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I use a trash pump to fill a tank from the creek or pond in the summer. Gas powered.

Jena

9. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyones posts/links/replies. I don't think the ram pump is an option as the creek drop is not significant. Unfortunately, the sling pump would require I dig out the creek bottom to have a resivor sufficent to float the pump. The creek is relatively shallow.I may need to do this any way in order to use any pump.I have seen some small electric pumps that would be within the $120.00 cost to build the ram pump listed so I guess if cost were the main issue I could pruchase an electric pump and be done with it.I was / am hoping for a solution that would not be quite as costly. If you think of anything else please let me know. Thanks !

10. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Look at something like:

www.harborfreight.com

They have some very cheap electric drive pumps. You have to know your pumping head requirement (total lift in feet the pump must be capable of and at what rate)

Make it a temporary rig. Some of those pumps are rather light in weight, use a garden hose / extension cord.

Build a little clean sump area to filter the inlet water, should be able to do it for = < ~ $50.

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a cheap 1/4 or 1/3 hp electric trash pump is the way to go. They move some water in the bigger plastic pipe, or most adapt to a garden hose but you get less water. Should be able to do it all for around $75. Money is cheap these days, can't really build much for under $75??? Also you never said how high you need to lift the water, a couple feet over the bank, or is there a 25 foot high hill involved - that would make a big difference!

Do the electricity right, you want good grounding when you mix electricity with water, you, & livestock.

Be aware that most states & feds have rules preventing you from altering natural waterways including using water out of it. All depends on how the locals feel about it if that actually gets enforced or not. :) But just feel I should mention it. :)

--->Paul

12. Goose

Goose Migratory Waterfowl

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Since you want mechanical, why not buy or build a hand pump. Then you don;t have to worry about the electrical hookup. That's what I'm looking at to move water from a spring to storage barrels for garden and livestock. Harbor Freight has one designed for 55 gallon drums that you may be able to modify.
    Build one for $20 - http://countrysidemag.com/issues/1_1999.htm#drilled well
    http://www.i4at.org/surv/handpump.htm
    http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A42645.htm - $40 can pull water 24'
    http://www.lifewater.ca/Appendix_K.htm - Zimbabwe bush pump instructions

Lots of instructions on the web for building and using hand and foot pumps. 30' is not far to move the water.