Looking for that homestead...I'ts hard work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

It seems that every place has it's high's and low's. Everything from Fire Ants, Snakes, Black Flies, Mosquitoes, Spiders and really Big bugs (LA). California has to have some of the biggest spiders anywhere I got an e-mail that several types of spiders in CA are on the Endangered list. (Dang right if it were up to me Spiders would be on the almost extinct list)

I guess from our travels we have seen some really great places that had awful water and locale restrictions on use of land and often that awful water. In Oklahoma the water at one home we looked at was so mineralized I almost bought the place so I could sell Mineral Water. In other states we've seen the water turn clothes yellow, orange, red and in Arizona a funny purple/blackish stain was usual.

A lot more states that we originally thought are hot, humid and have that affliction of having a depressed economy. Then there are the land prices. They range from reasonable but you'll drive 50 miles one way to a job to Outrageous and if I could afford that I could retire in Kentucky.

So where does that leave us? My DW and DD have traveled and looked at homes in over 30 states. Now once again school is starting up and that'll restrict our longer exploratory trips. {not to mention money is getting tight again}

Here is a synopsis of what we have learned from our travels.
    We like mountains, trees, creeks and streams. We prefer small towns over big cities, the SUN is hotter now than it used to be {My DW is part Cherokee and now sunburns}, Florida is inhabited by people from another planet {with a few tourist throwed in}, Missouri can be a dangerous place and the jokes were not all jokes, Texas has bugs that when stepped on yell like a woman screaming, Louisiana has bigger, badder mosquitoes than elsewhere. Gun Laws only apply to visitors, A southern vehicle can Freeze in Chicago in February. A older wood frame home can "Feel" more homey that a fine brick one. Two peolpe treating you like a friend can make a memory that lasts longer than the 10,000 jerks you met on the trip. Water is important and a good well should be protected. Newer Mobile homes are built better than some newer stickbuilt houses. In Nebraska Tractors always have the right of way, In Montana you can receive a speeding ticket for doing 90 on a back road then be invited to a cafe to talk about it. In Texas the wind blows about all the time. While a lot of things in Texas may be bigger, Trees aren't one of them. Finally we have learned that here on this board is a nice diversed community of mostly decent folk. And someday we may meet more of you on our travels.

Kenneth in NC

2. Kenneth in NC[/QUOTE]

Missouri can be a dangerous place and the jokes were not all jokes,

Please explain!! More dangerous than the larger cities? I doubt it. What jokes are you speaking of?

3. Kenneth in NC

My DW was in the cafe and 4 large men planned on her leaving with them. Lucky for her my DD had a bad feeling and we went to investigate. It took a 45-auto and some sharp words to unconvince the "gents" at the cafe.

Later that night 2 men tried to kick in our motel door. I always carry a KenneyKey
    and like the ad says the Key will hold longer than the door hinges. It Did.

As far as the jokes go. At the Texaco where we stopped for gas a guy offered to trade me his Sister for my wife said he was tired of....well anyway.

In several situations the old thing about Missouri being the "show me state" got crazy and I was glad that my daughter was asleep or she would have surely saw more than she need to.

Missouri was the only State where we felt truley threatened. I'm sure that all of the small towns aren't like that one but it took over a year for DW to put the experience behind her. Nuff Said

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Central NY is jussssssssssssst right :p

Good cold clear spring water
    mountains
    trees
    most of the time nice weather
    very few skeeters
    low crime
    civilized conservative populous
    good schools
    etc

5. Kenneth in NC

boxwoods that sounds like an invitation to visit Ya. :D

6. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Ken, what part of NC are you in? I'm in MD (don't come here!) but was thinking of relocating to NC (Chatham County area). Maybe DS is right; I need to head for Savannnah, GA, rehab rental houses, open a restaurant and find a few acres to raise my figlets.

BTW, as a woman, I've encountered many scarey and unfunny "jokes" in my life but I've learned to consider the source and forge ahead; no earthly place is perfect.

katy

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We live about 45 minutes north of Savannah GA and it isn't the nicest of places in our opinion.

We had friends that had two restaurants there in the downtown tourist part of the city and crime was pretty much a normal part of doing business-getting mugged,staff stabbed,panhandlers bothering you,that sort of thing.

Our area is VERY $$$ for land($10,000-$20,000/acre) OR homes(building costs are running at $130/square foot) and there are LOTS of developments and the like.

We are moving to western North Carolina as soon as possible(two years most likely) and opening a restaurant/cafe.

Kenneth,good luck and at least you have seen a lot of the country.

Why not try in the mountains of WNC or East TN?

8. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Oz, I live on the cusp of Washington, DC. Crime? Puleeze! You have to pick your location carefully and have some faith in your choice. Land prices? Try $40-70K+ an acre even an hour from town with restrictions, restrictions, restrictions. (Goats yes, chickens no--farms are nearly gone here now.)

As for the mountains of NC: been there; done that. I graduated from UNC-A in the 70s so I know that area; alas, you can't go home again. Besides, I'm looking for climate similiar to my warm 7. GA is hotter than what I desire but DS wants to attend SCAD in 2 years after junior college. I'm teaching him basic rehabbing, gardening, etc. so I'd have someone to watch over me if I land there.

katy

9. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Yeah,differing levels of crime :D Still not a nice place in our opinion.A woman was killed in the downtown area a month or so ago as was an Army officer returned from Iraq.Robbery it is assumed.

You could actually buy out of town up I-16(heading west) and find cheaper land.
    A friend of ours is stationed at Quantico and was telling us the price of homes up there-disgusting!!!

There isn't much in the way of topography here...it being the lowcountry and all. :)

Also we never understood the point of composting-EVERYTHING rots here in a few months....

BUT we do have a VERY long growing season I am told,it stays hot from about May to October/November(stays in the 90's most of that time with close to 100% humidity)

We have commercial tomato farms around us out here and some watermelons as well.

SCAD is an 'interesting' school-most of the waitstaff at our friends restaurant came from there.Savannah(and Beaufort) are quite liberal for southern towns.

10. To Kenneth

Yep, sounds to me like you stumbled into one of the areas out far eoungh that the citizens aren't very law minded. You must have not been holding your mouth in the right position. You have to be careful about that in Missouri.

11. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

have you tried kansas? I lived outside of kc for a couple of years and very nice and friendly people everywhere I went (didn't get into missouri much though). east side gets around 35 inches or so of rain a year and cooler than west. once you get past topeka though, hot and flat but they really want new residents with kids out in some areas of the west. they would love my sister or brother (sister has 7, brother has 6th on the way).

I live in indiana and have most of my life. live here because my family lives here but rednecks like you met in missouri are few and far between (rare in fact in my experience).

mel-

12. Kenneth in NC

We've driven through Kansas but hat's about it. It's flat :D

Nebraska up near Minden is pretty nice place. I was offered a job and a house last time I traveled through there. {DW says thats why I won't go back :haha: }

Kenneth in NC

13. Not picking on you Kenneth but what's wrong with where you are now?

14. Kenneth in NC

unregistered; It's hard to say. There's nothing really wrong with wherre we are we just want a bigger house and more land. Since the park butts up to our place on one side and our neighbor won't sell any land that leaves few choices.

I have no family here and my wife's family disowned her 10 years ago. So there's no real reason to stay here. Besides as someone else pointed out it get hot here in NC in the summer we'd like a cool summer and a cold winter.

Kenneth in NC

15. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ive got over 20 gallon per minute well, 685 deep although they did not need drill that deep noone was around when they were drilling.....[former owner was still in California] mountain views, 6 miles from 600+/- people, on grid but ifin you wanted it could go off grid easy enough with wind and solar combo.

The snow hasnt been to deep in many years....last winter we had 2 feet at the most, nieghbor plowed me out once is all, 4x4 made it the rest of the time. couple nieghbors dont even have a 4x4, just a fwd van [the almighty looks well after fools, idiots and californicators]

wanna deal? Central Idaho..... the climate is awesome, everywhre you go here you climb it.!!!

William

16. Kenneth in NC

OK William I'll bite Are you bragging or offering your place for sale?