Looking for some Fire Pit plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hayzor, Oct 26, 2005.

1. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

I'm trying to weld up alot of the Christmas gifts this year for family and friends. Would like to make fire pits for several people, but need a good basic design. I can cut, grind & weld, but don't really have bending capabilities.
    If anyone has some fire pit plans or links to them, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

The ones I've liked at campsites are those big truck tire rims with a welded rack on top that can be lifted so you can get ashes out and put wood in.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It's hard to beat those truck tire rims. They weld a rod up one side, and make a welded steel grate with a short pipe welded on one end to slip down over the upright rod. The grate will swing off the fire in a full circle.

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, we use the truck rims for the cub scouts,,,,,by the way unsupervised kids and hot truck rims don't mix....hasn't happen, but i think about it all the time. oh yeah when the rims show a crack VA.DMV laws say no welding,,,,got to be replaced so you can probably get them for scrap price at trucking furms with their own repair shops.

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

My significant other had a wonderful fire pit gift made for me by his dad ... he made a big iron tripod to put over my firepit. It's got feet at the bottoms of the legs with holes to put pins through (like tent pegs, sorta, so it is stable on the ground) and is made of three pieces of twisted wrought iron (like what you'd have on a stair railing). They connect at the top with a bolt that goes through some flat plates welded to the top of each piece, and the bolt has a hook on the bottom to hang a pot from. It's really neat. He painted it all with oven paint so it won't get damaged by the heat, and I have it up over the fire pit. Now all I need is a good cooking pot with a bail handle and we can have a corn roast!

Maybe your recipients would like something like that?

6. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

With the prices of some of these I think I will just dig a pit and put expanded metal over it for free. Thanks y'all. :D

7. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. OUr fire pit is and end off an old propane tank. It's 2.5 ft deep, almost 3 ft across, and we drilled holes in the bottom and sides for airflow. Works great for BBQ, brush burnoff, and bonfires.

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know where to find a picture of the rim pits. Making the grate is about all there is to it. These were made with 5/16 steel rods all the same length with a light angle iron welded across the ends of the rods to form the grate.
    A short pipe was welded verticle on one end of the grate at the middle of the angle iron the correct size to slide down over a steel rod welded upright on the outside of the rim. Putting a short pipe on the upright rod on rim before putting the grate on there will raise your grate higher if it needs it.
    These are used in many State Parks.