Looking For Sci-fi Book

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ezgoin, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ezgoin

ezgoin Guest

Hi,
    Are there any sci-fi fans out there? I am looking for a book I think was writen by Arthur C. Clarke. The storey is about finding a spaceship on the moon with animals on it from earth. The suprise ending was the animals did not come from earth but were being brought here. For the life of me I can not remember the title. Any help is appriciated. Thanks in advance. :waa:

2. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Have you tried www.powells.com? I typed Arthur C Clarke into the search engine and came up with over 200 books!! Maybe if you looked through the list, you would remember the name. Good Luck!

3. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

4. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi, would this be a good book/series for a younger, say nine-year-old? My son is about a fifth grade level reader and I like to encourage his reading plus I enjoy new sci-fi type books. Thanks.

6. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

His Dad has been reading to him for about three years. They have gone through the Harry Potter books, Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, and started the Narnia series. We might not pick the best or age appropriate stuff but I think he benefits from the time with Dad. (I think some of the cartoons, even commercials he sees are probably worse.)

I use to read a lot of sci fi stuff when I was younger (thanks to my older brother). I'm thinking of the Dune series or maybe the Star Wars but am overwhelmed by the number of books out there (where does it start?).

Do you have any good recommendations for us. Thanks.

8. RAC

RAC Guest

Robert A. Heinlein--I always enjoy re-reading Time for the Stars, Tunnel in the Sky, and The Door Into Summer, and in many ways feel his juvenile books were more interesting than his more adult fiction--though they are good too. Stranger in a Strange Land is a classic.

Zenna Henderson--all of "The People" stories have recently come out now in one book (it is called "Ingathering: the Complete Stories of The People), with one previously unpublished story (still only out in hardback, I think). Your library may also have copies of her other books--Holding Wonder and The Anything Box--I think they are out of print.

9. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Try the Redwall series -- excellent stuff that will keep Dad and son interested, without being in any way inappropriate.

My 8 & 10yo's love them.

Tracy

10. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

What about the CSI series (Crime Scene Investigation) by Max Allan Collins? It is based off of the original TV series. It has the same characters but different stories. My fifth grader loves them and so do I! :)

11. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Another pretty sci-fi book I read a long long time ago (pre-teen) that would be suitable for nine years olds was The Lotus Eaters by (I think) Arthur C. Clarke.

About a couple of teenagers who did a 'road trip' on the face of the moon, fell into a cave where a plant created an earth like atmosphere (oxygen) and kept people trapped in the cave. An much older astronaut / explorer was already there and didn't want to leave.

Pretty good read.

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Heinleins "Farmer In The Sky " got me started into my first worm farm in 1971.

13. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

Any of the robot books by Isaac Asimov would be good. Also look for sf anthologies in the library & 2nd hand. The variety of stories & authors keeps younger kids from getting bored.

God bless,
    Bonnie

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) JAS, don't overlook Heinleins "The Star Beast" and "REd Planet", both great for kids.

I want to thank ezgoin for starting this thread and lannie for giving me another series to check out! Oh Boy!!!! LOL I am a real fan of Hal Clement too, I love writers who back off and take a look at our species from a distance.

LQ

15. Bonnie L

Over the years I've lost some of my books & Farmer in the Sky was one of them & I couldn't remember the name! What's the name of the Heinlien book about a kid who is a slave & "Pop",a begger with a fake leg, buys him but he turns out to be a spy?

God bless,
    Bonnie

16. Les

Les Member

I sure am glad I stumbled onto this thread, you guys reminded me of a lot of my favorite books from my younger days. Almost every time I would think of a book to suggest someone else has already mentioned it.
    I would add Clifford D. Simak as a good writer along the same lines.
    "Waystation" in particular, along with "City". I'm sure I'll think of more later.
    Les

17. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Bonnie L- That was "Citizen of the Galaxy". You might also consider "the Wonderful Flight to the mushroom planet" and any of Andre Norton's books.

18. Bonnie L

The mushroom planet books were good! Who wrote them? Also, it isn't sf, but Gary Paulson writes wonderful books for kids, but more 5th or 6th grade & up. Now I'll be adding more books to my Must Find list. As if I needed more books!

God bless,
    Bonnie

19. Bonnie L

Another question - is Tunnel in the Sky the one about the survival class that gets stuck on a planet for a while?

God bless,
    Bonnie

20. Les

Les Member

I'm pretty sure it is Bonnie.
    I can visualize the cover clear as day, even though I know it's been, well, more years than I care to remember since I read it.
    Beware the stobor!
    Les