Looking for Red Jacket Tomato seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Charleen, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

My FIL can remember planting Red Jacket tomatoes back in the 1940's. They were nice shaped, delicious, bright red and very quick to fruit. I'd love to find some seeds for him but I can't seem to find any. Totally Tomatoes doesn't have them and I've done a google search and came up with squat. Anyone heard of them or have some seeds I can buy? Thanks.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Two Seed Savers Exchange members have Red Jacket tomato. One's in Canada and the other in Perry, NY. Otherwise it is not commercially available anywhere.

Martin

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Martin, thanks for the reply. I've been on the Seedsavers.org website and my search for red jackets did not have any results. Are you referring to another seed saving program?

You mentioned someone in Perry, NY having them. Perry is a stone's throw away from us.

Thanks for your help.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There's a separate publication just for SSE members. It's called "Seed Savers 2006 Yearbook". It's well over an inch thick with listings of everything offered by SSE members. The information is available ONLY to SSE members and not published on any web site. It's getting a bit late to be starting tomatoes now or I could cheat and order some for you. Problem is that it would involve at least 10 days for me to get the money in the lister's hands, the seeds to me, and then back to you. If you'd wish to plan for next year instead, let me know and we could share a packet.

Martin

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Have you checked with the Geneva ext office?