looking for raspberry and blueberry plant suppliers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dla, Jul 14, 2004.

1. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I was going to buy raspberry and blueberry bushes from a sale flyer which routinely comes in the local mail, but an article in the Post made me question the wisdom of this.
    It suggested buying virus-free stock for raspberries.
    Now we have wild raspberries all over, and I just wanted some in a more convenient spot. Do I really have to worry about viruses?

In addition, almost all of our berries are the sort which turn black - or dark anyway - these are black raspberries, right? Is it loganberries which produce later in the year?

Then my husband spotted some red raspberries, and let me tell you, they were so good I'm ready to comb the woods and start transplanting if that's what it takes to get more of those around here!

Thanks for helping a newbie!
    Deb

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Hey, another Marylander--I'm on the cusp of DC but I know Damascus.

I've never had virus problems with raspberries although I've traded with gardeners and even bought from the Michigan places we all love to hate--my unnamed fig everybody covets starts from came from a "$3 bargain bag" page many years ago--"Blackie" was an unexpected treasure. What did the Post say? Poor service or ??? If the prices look good, I'd probably take a chance on a small order but that's me. I'd love to know what "flier" you mean; I only get catalogues in the mail. BTW, I've heard you shouldn't grow black and red together but I don't know if that's true.

Are you sure those are red raspberries? If growing wild they could be wineberries; they look very similiar but the plants are fuzzy and thornier. I've recently captured 3 WBs of which one is growing well; I potted them in leaf mulch and have them in the shade for now; figure on losing 2/3 of your new plants from stress.

katy

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

We get a flyer - I don't remember if it comes in those mail ads or in the post coupon section, but it is the House of Wesley - "super jumbo blueberries" $5.95 each, etc.
    I also receive the Four Seasons Nursery catalog.

The berries aren't fuzzy at all - wonderfully sweet and less seedy.

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

LOL, Deb, I didn't mean the berries were fuzzy--just the stems--reddish stubble.

$5.95 doesn't sound like a great price unless you're talking 3 year old plants; you can spend about the same at HD, Lowes or a local nursery and not pay shipping. Check out the Gardenwatchdog Sticky tallpines posted; the comments there are from folks with experience from mailorder seed and plant sources. The places you mentioned wouldn't be my choice...nuff said.

katy

5. dla

dla Well-Known Member

good advice - thanks much! ;)

6. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

All of my raspberries are transplants from wild canes. I see two advantages:

1. they're free - free is good, no better than good. If they die, I'm not out any money.
    2. the canes are already acclimated to the area and the soil. They will do well with a little care and fertilizer.

One piece of advice...I used to dig out the canes and transplant bare rooted plants. This doesn't work very well. The canes die within a few days. Some will begin to grow again by the following season but even those take another year or two to establish. These days I dig out a 18" section of dirt around the cane and transplant the whole root ball. I dig a similiar size hole, add some rabbit droppings and water, then drop in the entire, intact root ball. I mulch around the newly planted canes with more rabbit droppings and some composted straw. The canes usually don't die from the move. Some have actually bore fruit the same year as the move. Spring & fall are the best time to do this.

7. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

I've had good luck ordering from Indiana Berry Company. Healthy, vigorous plants that really took off. But ask local berry people what varieties do well in your area before ordering. Maybe go to a Farmer's Market to find some berry farmers. They'll know.

8. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I suppose this is an etiquette question as much as anything, but is it rude to ask the folks down the road who run a pick-your-own place where they get their stock?
    I actually hope to be in competition with them in about five years.

deb

9. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

I ordered from Farmer Seed & Nursery http://www.cometobuy.com/farmerseed/ with pretty good luck, some of items didn't make it. Lost couple raspberries. They did send me replacements last week. Barefoot plants with leafs just budding out, about quarter inch. They took right off. Thinking of ordering more.

I seen this watchdog page. this spring http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/235/ And still gave them a try. Only complaint that the consumer services need to get it together. And shipping dates need to be addresses. Replacements had a two weeks arrival date.
    About the green bag grumble on one of the posts, Yep it dose come all together and a little slimy As a farmer won't have it any other way. :cool:

Timber

11. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

1st of all. don't order from any of those companies from bloomington indianana. they sell crap and don't honor their guarentee. raspberries should be transplanted in the spring for good results. trying to do it now is failure in the making. i like raspberries and have traded alot of users of this forum and even sold some with mostly good results. they grow great east of kansas, but don't do well in the west. offer to trade someone that has some near you. i will have lots in the spring. but for yeild and space, thornless blackberries are the best bang for your buck. randy

12. dla

dla Well-Known Member

:cool: Thanks so much, guys!
    Deb