looking for old thread in this forum about alternative housing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

There was a thread in this forum a few months ago about building a house that sort of had a house within a house. Part of the idea was that there would be a "solarium" - a south facing sun room. And that would have air connections to a basement. and there would be an air route over the house and down the back too.

I tried to search and google, but I wasn't coming up with the right words.

Can anybody give me some keywords or point me to the thread?

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

3. barefoot gal

barefoot gal Member

Paul, are you talking about an active solar home? I haven't been visiting this forum long enough to get you any leads on a particular thread, but I do remember seeing article(s) in old ('70's) Mother Earth News about house(s) where warm air goes from greenhouse to rock storage in basement and thru ducts up back wall and above ceiling, back to greenhouse. Seems like the word "envelope" was in the description somehow. Hope I helped.

P.S. I didn't read Mother in the '70's. My library has lots of the old ones!

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

This enertia stuff seems to be the ticket! And googling for "thermal envelope" is bringing up all the good info! Thanks!

Now the big questions is: anybody have any experience with this stuff?

5. HomeOnTheFarm

HomeOnTheFarm Well-Known Member

Don't I wish that I had experience with them! I only recently discovered the Enertia houses, but have fallen head-over-heels for them. It will be a few years before we're able to build our own place (we're growing out of our current home pretty quick here), but that gives us awhile to learn more about how these homes are constructed, where the best place would be for one (out here in the Cheney/Spangle area, there's a lot of rock, and growing rock at that, which cancels out an Enertia-type home), etc.