Looking for North Carolina advice

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by goatchops, Nov 17, 2004.

1. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

I am slated to transfer to Elizabeth City, NC next summer. After four years there I will retire from the military and I'm thinking about getting a headstart on homesteading in the NC mountains. Initially I thought I'd live on the coast and buy some bare acreage inland, working it during long weekends. I'm also considering buying a small farm (2-20 acres)and moving the family to the mountains now, then I'll just commute home on the weekends.

I've got two daughters aged 16 and 12 yo and although they're anxious to live on a working farm, I want them to have the opportunity to finish school and go on to college. So we'd like to live a reasonably self-sufficient lifestyle yet stay within reach of a respectable school district. We're thinking Ashe County.... any suggestions?

Jeff

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have a tree farm in Ashe county. It is beautiful there most of the time but a little too cold/icy for me in the winter. Being close to Boone will afford the education exposure you mentioned. Land in Ashe county continues to appreciate due to the half backers from Florida moving in plus the elevation is great for growing Fraser fir Christmas trees with there associated high return per acre. Expect to pay from $2500 per acre up. The area is great for growing lots of vegetables and terrific pasture in season. Be prepared to fence the deer out. The biggest gripe that I have for the area is that many of the locals have no respect for property of others. It may be different if one lives there but as an absentee owner that is the opinion that formed after a number of incidents.
    PS,
    If the price per acre is not too concerning I suggest north Iredell county. To the east of north Iredell is Davie county which is considerably cheaper but with about the same surroundings minus some population.

3. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

You might want to check with "Kenneth in NC", he has a homestead up for sale not too far from Charlotte NC I think. He has it listed on the barter board.

Bob

4. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Agmanto is right about Davie county. IN Central N.C. Guilford county They are selling Farms to the Housing Developers for $30k. Per acre.

5. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You're about 20 yrs. or more too late for the mountains in NC. The mountain areas of western NC are tourist and relocation areas for retirees from Florida. It is without a doubt one of the most expensive rural areas you will find. If you stay more central in NC I'm sure the prices are more in line.

7. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Well just to plug my own county...

Northern Iredell county is VERY nice and remote, but with quick access to the hills! I think our school system is pretty top-notch too. They are currently beginning to implement a system in which high school freshman can attend a non-traditional high school on the campus of MCC(our very old and historic community college)and graduate with a high school diploma AND an Associate in Arts degree. Made me wish I was back in school again!

We have a small Amish(Meddenite-sp*)population and the scenery is georgous. The southern end of Iredell is rather closely populated because of our direct connection to Charlotte, but N. Iredell still maintains cattle and produce farms(corn, soybeans, cotton, tobacco, etc). Overall a nice place. Lots and lots of land, especially as you get close to the Alexander Co line and Wilkesboro. The Brushy Mountains are just a hop, skip and a jump away and the Smokies are about 2 hours up the road.

8. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I am from madison county NC it is just north of ashville. They have a very good organic farmers assiotion there, sold every thing we grew except what we sold through csa's. The group is called COG, carolina organic growers in Ashville if you want to ask them any questions. cost of land has realy gone up in the past few years. Good people there, good land near streams. new hyw 19 puts you close to Johnson City Tenn for a larger market then just Ashville. Good luck on your search. sue ann

9. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I agree with second_noah, Iredell county is beautiful especially North Iredell. I spent a lot of time in and around Love Valley years ago. I lived in West Iredell for several years as well. My Mom grew up in W. Iredell.
    I now live in Catawba County, close to Hickory.
    Jeff, ya may want to check out the foothills as well!

10. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

Hey-Thanks to all for your comments! It's been about 10 years since I lived in NC and boy y'all aren't kidding about the inflated prices.

Last time I lived there, I couldn't afford to buy. Even though I make more $$ now, I'm half tempted to boycott on principal. But realistically, I know it's not getting any cheaper. I will look harder at the foothills and Iredell and Davies county-thanks for the advice.

I might even just break-down and buy a few acres near the coast, It's just that I visualize those rivers running the length of NC through all the industrial towns, past pig farms and emptying out into my back yard. Living in Alaska has spoiled me for crystal clear water and air. It's really a kick in the gut to look at the brown-mucky rivers in Eastern NC cause I can just imagine all the phisteria and other toxic creatures swimming around in there.

Love this forum-
    Jeff

11. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

There is now a lot more land for sale in western NC than most people realize. Since the recent revaluation for taxes this year however, the taxable value has more than tripled. Many landowners are trying to sell to avoid having to pay the new tax rates for long.

Asking prices have gone up to reflect the new taxable values for many properties, but many others are wanting to unload cheaper to avoid the tax burden.

Homesite rates were $3K/acre, now $10K/acre, and woodland rates were $1k/acre, now $3K acre.

It is a buyers market. Many of those that bought unimproved woodland retirement properties because of the formerly low tax rates are now selling.

I just found out a couple of days ago that a developer wants to buy one of the properties next to me and put in a housing development. I hope they like dozens of roosters crowing all day starting at 4 AM. :haha:

Bob