Looking for milk cow/heifer/calf in AR, OK, TX, MO

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by quailkeeper, Feb 14, 2005.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I already posted a want ad on the Barter Board but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put one here too. I am looking for a milk cow or heifer in Arkansas, Eastern Oklahoma, NW Texas, or southern Missouri. I am not particular about breed except I'd rather not have a pure bred Holstein. However, I would be interested in a Holstein cross, maybe with a Jersey or Guernsey. I'd also be interested in a Dexter or any other milk breed or cross. I'd take a week old heifer, weanling, adult cow, or even an older cow.

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

quailkeeper..in what price range you looking for ...in the week old heifer

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I'll keep an ear to the ground for you, but am wondering about your choices, in that there is a big difference in the amount of milk a Dexter gives and that of a Holstein/Jersey cross, I don't want you to feel that if you get a Dexter it will give the same amount of milk as your other choice. http://www.dextercattle.org/ This will show you some breeders in the areas you mentioned for Dexters,

Carol K

4. quailkeeper

I am desperate enough to take a Dexter, but not a registered one. Too pricey for me. $1000 for a yearling heifer is outrageous. I realize that a dexter only gives 1.5-2.5 gallons a day, which is actually perfect for us. But if I can find a larger cow I would just use the extra milk for a calf or two. I missed out on some Jersey/Holstein 16 month old heifers last week for $500.

Myers, it would depend on breed and if its registered (which it doesn't have to be). But, I'm pretty open right now :)

Thank you Carol, I do appreciate it!!!

5. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i sometimes run on to one now and then at the sale barns i go to.....jersey heifers and holstien hefiers and the some jersey/holstien crosses...one day old up to week old...never know when one will show up..are you interested in something like that,,,if i bought you one you would have to come that day and pick it up......are you interested it something like that? i am in poplar bluff missouri... i have jersey cows and thats how i found most of them...one at a time never klnow when thay show up so i couldn't call and say come look at...never saw any of them regersted at any of these sales

6. quailkeeper

Thank you for the offer but I'd rather save auction calves/cows for the absolute last resort. I have a friend who helps run an auction house in the next county over who is keeping an eye on them for me. Full grown milking cows run through for $200. I'm just a little scared of what you get at auctions.

7. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i have a bred jersey heifer, bred to angus, her mom and sisters are good milkers and her baby should be good beefy cross, we are askin $1000 when she calves and trained. maybe take less as is now. we are in mo but have relatives in south mo and ark. so could make a nice trip

8. quailkeeper

What would you take for her now? How far along is she? How old? Just curious, is she registered? Do you have a picture you could email or post? What part of Arkansas do you have relatives in? I'm definitely interested. Thanks!!!

9. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i have pics cant post them here for some reason , can email easy enought tho